Chapter 57: Siege of Corellia

Y/N POV

It was a risky gamble to invade a planet located so close to Coruscant. The 'Core Worlds' as they were named, were right in the heart of Republic territory. And now, I was going to take my fleet to occupy one of them! Sounded reckless, stupid even. But I had good reason for this.

Before the war, Corellia had served as the central world for the Intergalactic Shipwright's Guild, vast shipyards and factories under our control were located there. Of course once the war broke out, those locations were left abandoned as I'd spent my time since then focussing on my other factories in the Outer Rim.

If I reclaimed these though, we'd be able to QUADRUPLE our ship production! And, it felt right to do so. Most of the corporations came from the Outer Rim, Geonosis, Cato Neimoidia, Muunilinst and so on. My planet was located under Republic control, this would soon change.

The entire fleet jumped to lightspeed, there was a bit of a wait considering we were located in the Outer Rim so it took time for us to make it to the Core worlds. Soon enough though, the blue tunnel of hyperspace disappeared as the system of Corellia appeared before us!

It wasn't only that, but it seemed the Republic did in fact have a presence here. A blockade of Venator starships was directly opposite us forming a wall! And it was now, I was glad I'd brought my entire fleet with me.

Leading the charge was my personal Providence-Class Destroyer, the Dark Veil. This was backed up by numerous Munificent-Class Frigates and to top it there were about five Lucrehulk-Class Droid Control Ships, these would help in transmitting orders to the Droids once we broke their little blockade.

Image of a Lucrehulk-Class Droid Control Ship:

As soon as the entire fleet were out of hyperspace, I sent out a transmission to all of them, giving the order

As soon as the entire fleet were out of hyperspace, I sent out a transmission to all of them, giving the order. "Maintain our current trajectory! Ensure we have a higher altitude than their forward vessels and engage them head-on!"

The ships did just that, we continued forward approaching the blockade, it didn't take long for the Venators to notice us and open fire. We returned it straight away, red and blue bolts shot back and forth between us.

In terms of numbers, as it stood we were about equal. I assume the Republic hadn't anticipated an attack on a 'core' planet. The reason I had wanted a higher altitude though we for strategic advantage.

Most of the cannons on a Munificent frigate were on its underside, true they could engage head-on but if the target was beneath them, then they would meet the full-force of the oncoming cannons.

We continued to draw closer to the Republic ships when one of the technician's on the bridge of my ship turned to me and announced "Sir, we're detecting incoming Republic fighters!" I extended my hand out in front of me, giving the order, "All ships, deploy Vulture Droid fighters!"

From the window of the bridge, I saw the swarms of Vulture Droids fly out to greet the incoming V19 Republic starfighters. Now it was absolute chaos outside! Fighters were speeding past shooting one another down.

I turned and gave another order to the fleet. "Deploy the Hyena Bombers! While our Vulture Droids distract their fighters, have our bombers target their cruisers! We'll blow them apart one by one!" The pilots on the bridge all spoke "Yes Minister."

From the windows I saw our Hyena-Class Bombers join the battle. They began weaving their way through the ensuing dogfights and focussed their attention on the nearest Venator cruiser! 

Image of a Hyena-Class Bomber:

While these ships weren't as manoeuvrable as the standard Vulture Droids, their sheer power made it so that enough bombardment would be able to pick apart a full flagship

While these ships weren't as manoeuvrable as the standard Vulture Droids, their sheer power made it so that enough bombardment would be able to pick apart a full flagship. As would soon be apparent.

As all the Bombers converged on the nearest Venator and began their assault. A cascade of explosives fell onto the ship. The first run didn't do any lasting damage but did completely demolish their surface cannons, making a second run even easier.

This did seem like a long job, several runs for each ship and there were several ships we're talking about thirty at LEAST. However keep in mind, my frigates didn't cease fire, while they went for a more direct-head on approach, the bombers would sneak in and blitz them with explosive bombardment at close-range.

With this strategy, it didn't take us long before the Venators were falling, one by one. We were also suffering casualties, some of the Munificent cruisers were succumbing to the oncoming cannon fire. Luckily their passengers consisted only of Droids, it was only the Lucrehulk control ships and the Dark Veil that had any organic personnel.

Step by step, we managed to push further and further. The Venators were crumbling apart, chunks of debris were flying off and colliding with other. I actually saw, the bridge of one ship fell off and collided right with the bridge of another right next to it!

I didn't even need to get involved in this battle. We'd taken the Republic completely by surprise! If they'd known we were coming, they'd have had more ships, it didn't even matter that we had equal, that was just an estimation. But we were given chance to plan, I'd come up with a strategy to take down their blockade.

Our ships soon came alongside the Republic crafts though, I sat down in the chair in the centre of the bridge before saying, prepare to engage." Soon we'd approached in close-quarters combat. 

The Dark Veil was perfect in situations like this as it possessed more cannons than a Venator, almost DOUBLE I might add. We lost some of our ships however since the bombers were still performing their runs, most of their cannons had already been destroyed, leaving the enemy vessels vulnerable. 

And it was through this that the Venators were destroyed one by one. Each ship exploding and clearing the way for us, until there was only one left and that's when one of the pilots informed me "Sir, we're picking up a signal from the last ship! It seems they're sending out a distress signal!"

I turned to them and said "Well then, destroy them before they can send it out!" Without a word, the last ship was destroyed before their call could properly be sent out. By the time the Republic knew what had transpired here, it would be too late. With the blockade gone, I ordered the remaining fleet. "Onwards, to the planet's surface!"

The first step of the invasion was a success, the Blockade had been broken with minimal casualties, the rest just needed to follow suit...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, again I'm still planning this arc out so I'm not certain how things will play from this point on. I do hope you enjoyed the chapter and as always, thank you for reading.