Chapter 75: Tambor's Capture and Ryloth's Liberation

Wat Tambor POV

I hated the idea, it was so close. Right at my fingertips! The last shipments of valuable treasure from this dirtball those Twi'Lek called 'home'. I could have waited, but the longer it took, the more dangerous the situation came.

Soon I had no choice, the Tactical Droid had been right! I was left with no choice to evacuate. With two Super Battle Droid escorts, I made my way out to the courtyard only to see that wretched droid already at the entrance to my shuttle! 

I exclaimed "My ship!" However the droid didn't hear me, instead he walked into the ship and it took off, the door still open. I saw it stop over the adjacent courtyard, a spec leapt up out of it into the ship before the door closed and it disappeared.

I'd been betrayed! I knew Y/N was that spec, he'd left me here!

Y/N POV

"You made it Minister. Despite going against my order."

Before me stood TA-175, next to a hologram of Dooku, looking at me with  a look of frustration. I instantly bowed my head, looking for the right words to say. I had to be careful with my wording. My conclusion in the end was to tell half the truth.

"Yes Count, I did confront Master Windu against your orders and for that I apologise. But you must understand, I did it to stall him in order to buy time for Tambor to escape!" Dooku just continued to look at me calmly saying "Rise Minister L/N."

I stood upright once more only for Dooku to ask coldly. "Do you take me for a fool Minister?" My eyes widened in shock as I stammered "N-no Count, of course not." Dooku eyed me with a narrowed look before saying.

"You know better than to lie to me Y/N. I have known you since you were an infant. I watched you grow up into who you are today and I know when you are lying to me. I warned you not to face Master Windu for your own safety."

I was about to say something but wasn't given the chance, Dooku instantly cut me off. "Your ships are valuable to this war effort. True, you demonstrated your combat proficiency when you overpowered Master Unduli, but Windu is another matter altogether. It was foolish of you to think you had a chance."

I bowed once again, this time saying "I apologise Count. While I did act based off my own feelings, I wasn't lying when I said I planned to stall Windu so that Tambor could escape. That's why I had the droid collect me afterwards."

Count Dooku let out a "Hmm." Noise before asking to both myself and the Tactical Droid. "And where is Tambor?" TA-175 answered "I am afraid Emir Tambor refused to retreat in time." I should have seen this coming, but I'd have to think about that at a later time.

For a brief moment, Dooku feigned sadness as he commented "That is... Unfortunate." The expression was instantly replaced with a frown as he ordered "Order our bombers to destroy the capitol immediately." 

Before I could object, TA-175 pushed a series of buttons on the console, sending the signal to the same Hyena Bombers used on the villages. Dooku turned to me and said strictly "A few minutes later and you'd have died in this assault as well. Think of that before you make rash decisions in the future Minister."

With that, the hologram shut off. Straight away, I turned on my heel towards the cockpit. The Tactical Droid turned to look at me however I simply stated "Give me a moment. I have a matter to clear up." The droid nodded and the door sealed shut, separating us.  

Reaching around I pulled out my communicator...

Wat Tambor POV

A beeping noise caught my attention, coming from my hologram communicator kept on my person. I reached for it before turning it on. My confusion instantly turned to rage when I saw Y/N standing there.

"YOU!" I snapped "You betrayed me! Left me here! I'll have you know-!" Before I could finish Y/N responded angrily "You got abandoned on the droid's orders because of your own avarice! Now be quiet and listen to what I am about to tell you!"

Even via hologram, I knew better not to anger him. We'd worked together since before the war, I knew what he was capable of. So against my anger, I kept quiet. Y/N began explaining.

"Count Dooku has ordered the capitol to be bombed, wiping you and the Republic forces out along with it. I have a feeling though that this attempt will fail. In which I am certain you will be taken into Republic custody."

I snapped again "How is that any better?!" Y/N spoke completely calm, despite the situation "Rest assured, if it comes to that. I shall do what I can to ensure you walk free before this war ends. Our alliance is not forfeit because of this. Is that clear?"

I growled angrily, I hated the idea, but Y/N was a man of his word. "Understood. You had better know what you're doing!"

Mace Windu POV

I was furious with myself for letting Y/N escape! How could I have been so foolish?! The sooner my old apprentice was brought to justice, the sooner the Separatist armada would take a massive hit! They'd lose almost ALL their ships!

My mind stayed focused though, I could still tell Tambor was here, for one reason or another he'd remained. And I wouldn't let him make an escape as well. Rushing to the next courtyard where it seemed the shuttle had come from there he was, with just two Super Battle Droids as backup.

Upon seeing me, they opened fire however I just continued to rush forward, deflecting each blast. Once I was close enough, I swiftly cut both droids down with no effort before turning my blade to point directly at the Techno Union's foreman as I ordered "Surrender!"

Tambor recoiled from the purple blade, however he still held himself firmly "General Windu, perhaps we can come to a compromise." I narrowed my eyes into a glare as I retorted "Not when I hold all the cards." Tambor adjusted the dial on his chest before saying "It appears a surrender is, unnecessary. We will all perish for the glory of the Separatist alliance!"

Looking up, I saw a squadron of Hyena Bombers fast approaching! I still remained pointing my blade at Tambor and in the end, I didn't even need to worry as it seems Skywalker had managed to divert the bombers away and pick them apart one by one!

Turning back to Tambor, he seemed shocked. Even more-so when Syndulla and his men arrived effectively cornering him. Turning to the Twi'Lek he asked "What are your terms for surrender?" Syndulla looked at the Skakoan with distain before stating "They are unconditional."

Tambor, realizing he had no choice reluctantly muttered "Agreed." Syndulla looked at me, saying "I thank you Master Jedi, today, all of Ryloth thanks you." I congratulated them in return "You've earned your freedom General, all of you."

It was at this point, I low laugh was heard. Turning, I saw Tambor chuckling to himself. I asked "What's so funny?" His response though, caught me off guard. "I received a transmission from Y/N shortly before you arrived."

I asked in a more urgent tone. "Y/N? Where is he going?!" Tambor let out another dark laugh "I don't know where. But I'm sure you'll see him again soon. I'm aware of the connection you two share. It was amusing to see the levels of hatred he held for you."

Instinct was to reach for my lightsaber, however I quickly stopped myself. He continued, saying "You may arrest me. But this war is far from over. And I assure you, you'll find that this little victory means nothing."

I didn't know what he spoke of, and he didn't say anymore after that. Of course the war wouldn't end until Dooku and the Separatist leadership was captured. But Tambor displayed an uncharacteristic level of confidence at that point.

There was something amiss. What? I'm unsure...

Author's Note: And that's it for the Ryloth arc of this book. The next chapter will be a standalone chapter based around the Cad Bane holocron plot from Season 2. Then we'll be moving on to the second battle of Geonosis, the final arc of this book. I really hope you enjoy it and as always, thank you for reading.