Chapter 80: Tracking the Survivors, A Trial by Fire!

Y/N POV

I don't know how long it was taking me to reach the site where the lone Gunship had crashed. I wasn't exactly keeping track of time. No, my focus was purely on that location. I knew that if left unattended, they would ultimately be the thorn to slip past us. And if it was a Jedi, then I knew droids and Geonosians wouldn't be enough.

Eventually, I did reach the location of the crashed gunship. It was certainly in a demolished state, dead Clones strewn about across the ground. I began analysing the wreckage, while I was glad that several of the Clones had died in the crash, I didn't find the body of a Jedi. I frowned. If there was one, they'd survived. Which meant they were still a threat. My search continued for a moment before I noticed something.

Tracks! More specifically an AT-TE walker! It was unknown if it was just one vehicle or a whole convoy. However either way, it was safe to assume I'd found the survivors. I'd follow these tracks and cut the problem at the stem.

Getting back on my speeder, I revved it up and shot in the direction of the tracks. I didn't travel too close, not wanting the sand to blow over said tracks and ruin everything. I kept an eye on them  as I sped off across the sands. 

Much quicker this time, my theory was proven true. I approached a spire leading into a network of caves that at some points would connect to the underground. Outside of which I spotted a few of the AT-TE walkers parked at the base of a footpath leading upwards.

Surrounding the base of the walkers were a squadron of Clones. No trouble for me. In fact, I simply revved the handle and sped closer. I'd gotten surprisingly close before the Clones finally noticed me. I guess their senses weren't as in-tune as they'd have liked.

When they did notice however, one of them yelled "Open fire!" Blue blaster bolts shot out in my direction, not that it was a problem. There was nothing mere Clones could do that would remotely pose a threat.

Even as my speeder was racing forward, I reached for my lightsaber, igniting it and using it to deflect the incoming bolts. Some I angled so that they'd bounce back and strike the Clones, knocking them down. 

Those that remained continued to fire however I quickly brought the speeder to a stop and leapt off it. Flipping through the air before landing back on the ground, I instantly swung my arm around to slice one of the troopers in the back.

Turning to the side, I thrust the blade forward to stab another and leapt up to cause two more to shoot one another in their efforts to hit me! I swear, these Clones talked big, but rarely could they back it up. They were no better than droids.

The last Clone fell as my blade sliced right through his torso. I didn't even give any of them a second glance. As soon as the last one's body had fallen, my attention turned to the path. I could see the tracks of humanoid footprints so it was clear my targets had gone this way.

With my lightsaber still in hand, I began following the path along. Upwards, it was about now my other concern was proven right. As I drew closer to a cave of sorts, I began to to sense a presence through the Force. Clearly not a Clone. But this presence was a familiar one at that. Entering the cave, I realized where I'd sensed it from.

My grin returned, this time it wasn't as sadistic but rather just pleased. Ki Adi Mundi! A Jedi on the council and generally respectable. But if you saw him from an angle outside of what the Jedi wanted to see, there was nothing there but a hollow, dethatched man with no emotion whatsoever. A generic rock off the ground had more feeling than him!

The cave was a complete contrast to the setting outside, the bright light of the day was drowned out completely, now replaced with a near pitch-dark setting. This didn't matter though as the sound certainly improved.

As if the sound was ricocheting off the walls, I could instantly hear blaster fire, the strange pulsing of those Geonosian firearms and even the occasional swipe of a lightsaber. They weren't far.

Strewn about on the ground were the bodies of slain Geonosians and Clones alike. As expected, Mundi wasn't wasting any time. I knew I'd have to catch up to them soon, it was likely Mundi was already aware of my incoming presence.

The noise only got louder the closer I got. I soon rounded a corner and heard the familiar Jedi's voice give an order "We're almost through! Bring in the flamethrowers!" Ahead, I could see that the flashes of blaster fire were  replaced by a faint glow of the distant flames.

I scowled to myself. So that's how these Clones played is it? Normally, I'd not be against the use of flamethrowers. However, it was the hypocrisy the Clones and the Jedi showed. They claimed to be 'good'.

The Clones themselves, born in tubes. Thought their lives were more valuable than the Geonosians. Again, while I normally would turn a blind eye. However, the Geonosians had done right by me. And even though I was a devoted follower of Count Dooku and the Dark Side he taught me to embrace, if a species gained my respect. I would provide my support.

And that's why when I got closer, my reaction changed. This time there WAS a sadistic glint in my eye as I finally gained visuals on the clearing in front of me. It was just as I'd thought, Clones stood with flamethrowers.

Streams of flames sprayed out, scorching any Geonosian unfortunate enough to be present in the way. Perhaps a bit of my old Jedi teaching was what made me uneasy by this. But even then, it didn't start darkness from shining through.

Image of a Clone Flametrooper:

What I did next was fuelled by pure contempt

What I did next was fuelled by pure contempt. For the Clones, the Jedi, the Republic. I took one of my gloves off and extended my hand out in front of me. The Clone closest to the back of the group began to lift off the air.

He looked around for a moment "Hey! What the-!" The others turned however it was too late. With a flick of the wrist, the Clone was flung right into the line of the flamethrowers! He let out a scream as he caught ablaze!

The flametroopers noticed what had happened and called out "Cease fire!" All the troopers turned around however I extended my hand once more and this time, a blast of lightning coursed out!

The Clones caught in it were killed instantly. I looked at them and spat "Not so fun now is it?" All the Clones aimed their weapons at me. Ki Adi Mundi stepped forward, blue lightsaber in-hand till he stood at the front of the group.

My smirk only intensified, I was going to enjoy this...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. A bit of a glimpse into Y/N's darker side, that will be emphasised more in the two follow-up books. The next chapter will be the last for 'Landing at Point Rain'. However we still have 'Weapons Factory' and 'Legacy of Terror' to go before the book ends. I hope you enjoyed it and as always, thank you for reading.