Chapter 37: Finding the Droid and Unwelcome Intruders

Gha Nachkt POV

"Ah, here we are."

Just as the Minister had said, upon arriving at the Bothawui system, I was met with a sea of wreckage within the planet's asteroid ring. Whatever battle happened here, it left a lot behind, both Republic and Separatist. 

Normally this would be a gold-mine for me, but at the moment I had a priority. Minister L/N was definitely good for the credits, I received a large sum for that simple delivery job. If this droid was important, perhaps I could haggle more out him.

I couldn't help but smirk as I steered the Vulture's Claw into the wreckage, searching for the remains of that Delta 7 starfighter. The mechanical pincers on the sides of my ship were able to push bits of rubble out of the way.

And that's when it came into view. How could I possibly miss it? It was a bright yellow and stood out like a sore thumb among the otherwise bland coloured wreckage. The starfighter was left just spinning lightly, as it turned that's when I saw it, an astromech droid, likely the same one the Minister told me about.

My smirk only grew as I stood up from my seat and began making my way off the bridge. I walked down the corridor until I found one of my Assassin Droid guards. I instantly gave the order "You! There's an astromech Droid outside this ship. Go out and retrieve it. NOW! Once you have, bring it to me on the bridge."

The Droid just gave a silent salute before running off the the airlock closest to the ship's location. I just turned and began making my way back to the bridge again. Once there, I sat down in my chair and reached into one of the draws.

It didn't take long to find what I was after. Lifting it up, I held a restraining bolt between my thumb and index finger. A chuckle left me at this, couldn't have the Droid escaping on me now could I?

After a few minutes the door to the bridge opened and I heard a metal clang as my Assassin Droid kicked the Astromech in its back causing it to fall face-first into the bridge. I turned to the Droid saying "You may go now."

Once it had left, I walked over to my new guest. Reaching around and slowly lifting it up so it was on its wheels again. I smirked down at it and said "Well, what do we have here? Welcome my guest."

I was about to begin putting up a polite façade however before I could, a small cord stuck out of the Droid's head. There was a bolt of static that made my step back in shock. After that, the entire act was dropped.

I spat "I tried to be nice. But you've forced my hand!" Before I could get shocked again, I slapped the restraining bolt on the Droid's front before quickly pulling out the remote and pushing the button.

The R2 unit went motionless and it was in this time I brought it over to a compartment right here on the bridge. I couldn't trust it in the cargo hold. I glared as it and snarled "That's enough out of you. We'll soon see why the Minister wants you so desperately..."

With the Droid safely in my possession, I was free to sweep around the remaining debris at my leisure before heading back. Or at least I thought I did, shortly after this, I received a warning that a ship had docked at one of our airlocks.

Looking at the external camera, I saw that it was one of those Corellian Freighters. Shifting to one of the interior cameras I saw what seemed to be two drifters, a human male and a Togruta female.

They seemed to converse with my airlock's gatekeeper droid before I heard the man suddenly ask. "Hey, we're looking to buy a Droid, you sellin'?" Well, that was my cue. Getting out of my seat, I turned and made my way down towards the airlock.

Reaching the door in question, I pushed the button to open it. Of course, at the most embarrassing time, it chose to jam up. Getting stuck part way. I groaned and began to climb through, accidentally releasing a bit of gas as well however I just ignored it and turned to the drifters.

What the man said next nearly made my blood run cold. "We're looking for an R2 unit, happen to pick up any recently?" Did they know about the droid?! If so, whatever they were paying would be nothing compared to the reward that Minister L/N offered.

Even so, I masked my fear by pretending to think. "An R-series? No, no, not for a LONG time." The man turned to the girl he was with and said "Pookums here, really has her heart set on another R2, she lost the last one."

I ignored their comment and instead noticed the Droid they were with. Another astromech, this one was black and gold. "Nice R3 unit. Trade? For a C-14?" I did actually have one on me, maybe this would get them to leave.

The girl snapped "Not on your life Lizardo." The man reached into his cloak and revealed a handful of credits, muttering "Let's see how much I have here." Not nearly enough credits to get me to back-out of my deal with L/N. But still enough to catch my interest.

I grinned and gestured for them to follow. "Tell you what, I may have an R2 unit buried somewhere in the hold." With that, I lead them out of the airlock towards the cargo hold. Reaching the door, I opened it up.

Gesturing for them to enter I said "Help yourself. But be careful, there are many, unique items down here." As the two drifters entered, I gave them one last grin before closing the door behind them. If they found the droid wasn't here, they'd hopefully soon leave.

I just watched through one of the monitors viewing the room. The two drifters just took a look around, at first things seemed to be going well. But that's when the man seemed to suddenly bolt up, I gulped, hoping he hadn't gained a hint about the R2 droid.

This soon seemed forgotten about, as their R3 must have activated the two Assassin Droids I had dormant in here. They came to life and attacked and that's when I was left even more surprised. Both the man and the girl revealed LIGHTSABERS! What were Jedi doing here?!

From there it didn't take them long to begin battling the droids, I contemplated whether or not to run however even if I did, where would I go? The ship was big but not THAT big. Before I could finish my thought process, the door swung open to reveal the male Jedi, lightsaber still ignited.

I recoiled at first, as he approached. However I soon found the confidence to glare and snap "If you didn't have a lightsaber, you'd be a dead man!" The Jedi's glare only intensified as he approached growling angrily "Where's my droid?!"

Before he could do anything, the girl rushed up and stopped him. "Master, what're you doing? R2's not here!" There was a moment of silence, I just looked between the two before the Jedi finally switched his saber off and shoved past. 

The girl and the droid followed shortly behind. I looked back into the cargo hold to see the mutilated remains of the two Assassin droids. I'd hoped to pawn them off on someone at a later time, but now, that wouldn't be happening.

This caused me to snap "I told you there were no R2 droids down here! Look at this mess you made!" Turning back to them I yelled after them "You owe me Jedi!"

Timeskip...

I watched from the bridge as the Jedi's freighter took off and disappeared from sight. A great sense of anger flooded through me as I stated "You'll be sorry you ever came aboard my ship Jedi, I'm about to make your life miserable."

With a push of the button, it didn't take long for a hologram of Minister L/N to appear, asking "What is it?" I pushed a button causing to compartment to open up containing the R2 unit. Clasping my hands together, I explained.

"I am en route to the rendezvous point Minister. I've got the merchandise you're looking for." L/N let out a slow laugh. I grinned and turned back to him, saying "It must be valuable, a Jedi came looking for it."

This caught his attention, he cut me off, asking "Was this Jedi a human male with brown hair and a scar over his eye?" I nodded "Yes, that's the one." A look of anger appeared on his face and I'm pretty sure I heard him mutter "Skywalker."

I commented "If the Jedi are interested, perhaps this droid is worth more than we'd negotiated." That was possibly a mistake, as the Minister snapped "You'll get your fee, just like last time. Now get to the rendezvous point as quickly as you can."

At this I chuckled nervously "Yes, of course Minister. Just kidding..."

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter. I really hope you liked it and as always, thank you for reading.