Thirty six

I beeline past the hallway and walked through the double doors, and just like that I was out of the English building.

Dead set on getting some work done, I follow the empty foot tracks and noticed the gardener had not yet finished plowing the grounds because half of campus was still clogged with mucky snow while over in some far corners I could see the dead grass and cobblestone pathway. By the time I made my way back to my dorm it would be picture perfect clean. I walk on the snow and make my way to the library. My save haven.

Wesley strolls after me in three short paces. "Do you want company?" he asks, matching my pace with ease. Wesley moves a strand of hair from his brown eyes.

Though I thought it was odd, despite his quickness he wasn't panting for breath. Girls that weren't me might've swooned at the idea of someone like Wesley paying attention to them. But I wasn't like most girls and his gallant services weren't needed.

I shake my head. I was stubborn when I wanted to be. "I know where it is. Thank you, though, for offering." I leave him and continue my way to the courtyard.

I zipped my hoodie, stuck my hands inside my pockets, and headed across the pigeonhole courtyard, skirting around the groups of students who'd stopped to talk, pull out their cellphones and check their messages.

I lifted my head, pulse thumping between my ears and looked behind me when I heard footsteps treading on an even patch of snow. "Are you following me?" My sharp narrow gaze followed his.

I wondered when I would see him again. Only now I was disappointed that Mr. Average was nothing but a runner sent by the pariahs to spy on me. Not that it mattered. I wasn't impressed by their money and nothing happened to me that they would want to hear about anyway.

Mr. Charismatic and fruitful smiles innocently. "Me, following you? Not at all." He gestured around with a big swoop of his arms. "This place is diminutive and understated compared to most. I bump into identically similar people multiple times per day."

"Like hell." I gave a half snort half laugh. "Answer the question. Are you?" I ask him again.

"Am I what?" He puts his hands in the pockets of his black trench coat, the same one I'd seen him with on that first day we met.

I look sideways at the plain brown-haired boy, unimpressed by his clueless demeanor.

He wasn't ugly, but that didn't mean he possessed endowed peculiarities that made him stick out. Unless his fair skin and visible veins counted.

It was strange and a little intimidating that I went to a school with so many pretty boys and exotic-looking girls.

"Stalking me to see whether the firebug will torch a dustbin or were you hoping that I set fire to a bookcase so that you wouldn't have to do a report?" I said, meaning it. And here I was, just that uninteresting new girl that wasn't incredibly pretty or extremely rich like the masses that went to Starkhouse.

His smile was wide. "No, but I am enjoying the distraction." He gave me a once over, slow and thoughtful, head to toe, panting, color high in his cheeks.

I smile tentatively. "I'm sorry. Guess I'm just a little on edge these days. It's cold and I get irrational when I haven't eaten."

He stared at me as if weighing me. "It's forgotten."

And it was. I don't rebuff him as he walks closer to me, invariably keeping a foot's distance. Huh. Suddenly having a companion to walk with wasn't so bad after all.

The further we went the snow melded into one thick blanket on the ground that was large and widespread and took more effort to tread from one academy building to the next. Sometimes having buildings in a loose cluster around campus sucked-

The boy next to me let out a low throaty chuckle. "This part of the world will do that to you."

My cheeks stained red as I realized I'd been talking out loud again.

"I've traveled to many places but I have to say this one is my least preferred, although my time here is getting better now. Whatever happened to sunshine and fair weather and halcyon days that didn't spoil and ravage your best outfit?" his grin rose high to his cheeks, offering up a dimpled smile.

"Tell me about it." I sigh, envisioning an abstract fantasy about buttery sunlight and breezy summertime weather and agreeable palmy days like the image from my postcard.

We walk together in silence until I could no longer stand it. I had something to get off my chest and I knew if I didn't then I would later regret not having the courage to say it.

"So...you never told me your name." It was eating at me and I had to ask.

"Apologies." He stretches his left hand out and crosses our invisible barrier, fingers pointed in a downward motion.

"I think a do over is called for here," he explains when I don't comply at first, his accent firmly audible and distinct, and though I had tried I couldn't place a memory to it.

I shake his hand in a firm grip. We shake hands, glove on glove, and smile at one another.

"Nice to finally meet you," I say.