ninety four

i scooted closer to joshua while he wasn't looking. 

for whatever reason joshua was reading a book of some sort. my eyes drifted on past and over the rustic cover.

the flimsy beat-up spine had withered cracks and crumbly decaying tears. it was a considerably large book as books went filled with at least three hundred old weather-beaten pages. 

the book was open showing off equally spaced sentences lined in neat penmanship- handwritten.

from what i could see there was a colorful depiction of a winged beast with minuscule horns protruding from its forehead drenched in blood. Duma was one sick bastard. 

according to lore duma was the anti-sandman in that he jumped into dreams while children slept soundly and tormented them with their fears all because he reveled in making humans cry.  

It was said lucifer himself hated doing business with the dream hopper. 

"hey. whats that?" i asked pointing over to a particular picture of Duma manipulating a woman's dreams. Though it didn't say how exactly.

"the angel prince of dreams." joshua spits.

"so he's like you?" 

joshua barks. his laugh was high in pitch making the chandeliers shake but full hearty as it rang in my ears. "hardly. you want to know what the pansy did? impression jumping. pfft. big deal. i was on the front lines when the war began you want to know what this weakling did?"

joshua didn't wait for me to ask. "he stayed behind and showed his ugly mug once it was over." 

"impression jumping." i mumbled vaguely calling to mind something from the dark crevices of my consciousnesses, something vital that i knew i should remember but couldn't.  

"think of dreams as the gateway to the minds subconscious." joshua said unaware that I was trying hard to concentrate on something from my past. "theoretically, if i wanted to i could enter your dreams." 

"you can hijack peoples dreams? is nothing sacred and off-limits."

"no, not really." joshua hums. A gleam filters past his onyx eyes making them shine bright like marbles. Joshua gave me a look and grinned. "Why I could make your back touch the ceiling however i haven't witnessed any human actually make the fall. Wanna try?" Joshua asked me seriously.

there were miniature chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. 

i shivered at the painted picture. "Why do you say theoretically impression jumping could be done?" during one particular dream of mine i wore a dress. in it i'd danced with both toby and wesley at the same time. 

i wondered if there was any relation. 

but deep down i didn't want to know. 

"well, yeah. duma was the only angel ever recorded who could willingly enter the subconscious mind. in the original text its rumored that angels with a special connection travel using their own unique blend of energy frequency. but, as i said earlier, that's just hearsay. soul mates aren't a real thing. there's no fundamental evidence to prove any of it is true." Joshua said looking bored again.

maybe it couldn't happen but i knew someone who could put my suspicions to rest.

after telling joshua that i needed to use the restroom he shrugged his wide shoulders and turned off the cuffs around my ankles. once i was free i get up and walk across the room. it felt good to move my limbs again. 

I looked back to see if Joshua was keeping his eyes on me. Instead of watching my every move he took out his black berry and started texting. there was a flurry of fingers moving. it was as if he were playing the piano.