eight two

"my word is good for it." i sat afar observing from my desk without speaking.

I kept my mouth shut. Monosyllables were my go to of choice. It seemed the return from winter break turned students miserable and on edge. 

"that's what you said the last time." darcy pounds on the desk with his meaty fist. 

the headmistress had greeted our first day back with a brief announcement of a pop quiz. nobody saw it coming. 

with no time for a quick review panic soon festered into bitter feelings of annoyance. i had an up-close pay per view playing out in front of me.

mason rolls his eyes unsympathetic. "look, you want the answers or not?" mason was all business and no humor. fortunately he was busy combating with darcy and didn't have free time to induce chit-chat with me. and that was just this morning. 

the rest of my day past by in a blur. 

i look up from the ground to catch sight of Rider walking out of the woods by himself.

"i see you're still here." i comment with a reaction of unsavory memories.

it didn't take long for me to reciprocate his presence with feelings of disinterest. last time i barely got away before he could talk me to death.

rider strolls over to me like we were compatible allies. "its nice isn't it?" he gestures at nothing particular.

i grab both straps on my backpack. "what is?" i ask getting straight to his point.

"spending time away from your promising well-to-do friends." when i say nothing he continues to speak his mind. "do they know you're a fraud?"

Okay. 

i didn't like where the conversation was heading let alone how Rider obtained my file which i mistakenly assumed was locked away hidden for my benefit. no one was supposed to know the circumstances in which i was granted a scholarship.

i narrow my eyes at his threat. "you know so much about me and i hardly know anything about you except your name. why is that?" i contemplate out loud not caring if he replied.

his pretend act of kindness to make a good impression was literally sickening. i did not feel well. the relentless churning in my stomach demanded to be forced out. 

i held myself together not wanting Rider to see how i was affected by him.

maybe i was overacting and he wasn't threatening me like i'd imagined but that didn't excuse his meddlesome behavior. or his need to know my business which was none of his. he needed to know it was not okay to mention things about me, ever.

rider smiles like he was glad to see me. "from one friend to another i will give you some burden free advice."

i fought the urge to stop him from continuing.

"-take it from me. it doesn't matter that you come from a place of good intentions. once brought to light trivial concerns and petty confidential statements will always be used to contradict every lie you have ever told. it will have people that you care about wondering who you really are." he proceeds afoot without another word.

i follow rider to make sure he never underestimated me again. "first of all we are not friends." i yell at him with fury. "i hardly know you. its my business what i tell people. thanks for your concern but i can handle myself." 

"oh, i'm fully aware you know what you're doing. see you around sometime, aislin." he waves goodbye rendering me speechless about what just happened. 

i keep watch until he was merely a black object of design composed against falling snow.