seventy four

"you totally chickened out." wesley picks on mason.

"na-ah." mason argues. "i was just conserving energy is all. timing is crucial." mason explains taking a bite of food.

"sure." wesley snickers rolling his eyes.

after unpacking i'd spent the rest of my weekend in lazy pants studying. it was monday when i'd finally unlocked myself from my dorm with clean disentangled hair. 

wesley and kira had ambushed me into spending lunch with them outside the cafeteria. i'd only agreed because, well, i couldn't exactly say no to kira. she was a scary force of 5 feet one inches.

"mmm. these are really good." mason grabs another sugar biscuit from the vintage tin can. 

i was not surprised to find mason in the library waiting for us. he stuck to wesley like super fix adhesive. he must have been hungry because from what i could tell mason was eating the majority of grandmas biscuits.

i brought the biscuits with me to feed them. we were in the library on the second floor and the furthest away from the students who actually came to study.

i look up distracted by wesley gasping. 

"you pig." wesley lifts the empty carton in the air leaving me speechless. "i cant believe you didn't save any for us." wesley condemns mason for his courtesy. or rather, lack thereof.

"you ever try eating tofurky with powdered eggs?" mason asks wesley physically shivering. "that stuff's not natural." he was referring to what they'd served for breakfast. a healthy serving of wheat pancakes, a scoopful of eggs and two sausages. the syrup and butter on the side was a surprise.

"rebecca's your roomate?" mason asks me.

i squirm uncomfortably. i wasn't sure how rebecca came up for discussion but it was out there already.

wesley snorts. "who's the pervert now?" he comments dryly.

i ignore him and turn my head to mason. nodding, I say "yeah she is. you know her?" i ask mason. he had a lot of connections so i wasn't all that surprised if he did.

"hardly." mason brushes crumbs off his sweatshirt to fall on the carpet. "only what i've been told."

kira smacks him. "that was privileged information." she narrows her kohl rimmed eyes.

"i'm more than willing to renegotiate terms." he says unruffled by her abusive temperament.

kira snorts un-ladylike. "as if i would lower my standards with the likes of you." she looks at him in disgust.

"suit yourself." her grins. "never say i didn't offer."

i wave my hand in front of them to gain their attention. "hello. remember me?" i say sarcastically.

kira crosses her arms ignoring all three of us. 

mason smiles at me. "like i was saying before girlfriend interrupted...." mason sat up and leaned his forearms on his knee. he looked right at me dead int he eye. "Rebecca's last roommate died suddenly." and just like that he drops a mother bomb on me.

i was not a gullible person who could be swayed easily by gossip. I preferred to hear it straight from the source. "yeah right." i snort. "what really happened?" i ask mason whose facial expression didn't change and that's when i glanced at kira but she was more interested in removing lint from her pockets than lecturing us.

i lean forward. "how did she die?" i didn't know why i was whispering all of a sudden.

"it was a freak thing." mason talks softly like he could feel the change in the air too. "one day she's alive and talking, and the next thing we know, Rebecca finds her cold limp body." he says as a matter of fact.