fifty two

i rest my head on the desk and close my eyes. i tried hard not to think about our impending plans at hand.

Mason was talking about something that happened long before i came and i wasn't in the mood to pick up on it.

i just hoped i wasn't running mile laps around the courtyard again before lunch. unfortunately it was a recurring pattern. one of cruel punishment as far as my sore and achy legs were concerned. ms. Pratt was a drill sergeant who loved to make us run for nothing.

as i waited for the bell to ring i allowed my subconscious to slowly drift and take over......

it was a cold stark night. the moon provided natural lighting that beamed straight down brightening up the cloudy grey-black clouds.

from experience i understood that celestial dimensions could easily be accessed once i slept and drifted outside of my body.

it wasn't an out of body experience, per se. more like my soul had jumped out of my 'casual body' and into a separate dimension.

Leaping was easy enough to accomplish with little effort to do on my part.

unlike typical rational people i knew i was not dreaming. i'd stopped ignoring my gifts and embraced them because i figured it was best to quit pretending that i wasn't seeing things.

I could see dead people. it was my gift, my medium-ship that made it difficult for me to get along with the outside world.

previous contact with these dead people told me that they're souls were unable to find peace. unable to live happily in eternity.

people hated cemeteries. personally, i felt like i fit right at home whenever i visited one. they didn't create a sense of dread within me, or sadness even.

bathed with light i walk further down the expansive dry land on the lush unmarked foundation and go across the colossal polished tombstones that held decaying bodies buried underground keeping my distance so that i wouldn't step on them.

i was convinced something more happens after we die and i had the first sneak peek as to what that was, though i couldn't say for certain what mitigating factors predisposed good and evil.

i look up and over to the string of skeletons with decaying teeth dangling from black trees that were lined up across a woodland grove on the opposite side beyond the cemetery.

i squint my eyes when i see something crawling around inside the eye sockets. there were meaty black spiders and jumbo green cockroaches working their way up and around the grooves that made up the skeleton heads.

again, creepy but not scary.

i didn't have a particular direction in mind as i walked and solely witnessed the cataclysmal event and basic overall annihilation of grave-passing that would one day cross over and impede our world.

maybe i was the only person who knew it but life on earth wouldn't be the same once it happened. i didn't know how much time we had and this sense of urgency, this unavoidable feeling that none of us would escape what was going to come, amplified.

i let my bare feet lead the way and gravitate forward letting my instincts guide me and noticed the sapless withered grass was overgrown and curled on the edges of the grave markers like dull untamed hair that refused to flatten out.

"hello?" my voice echoed around me.

silence was my response.

i had stopped walking and looked to the other side of the park where the exact location of the noise came from.