104

the sun grew rising high above the clouds altering the color of the sky. it was a picture of the world i'd never imaged existed. up ahead birds flew racing one another in a glorious pattern that resembled the pointy shape of an arrowhead.

it was early in the morning. we had escaped campus grounds just hours before the bell rang letting us know breakfast in Starkhouse was prepared and ready to be served. the wind blew fierce shaking limbs on trees nearby. it rattled bushes nearby and forced the american flag to shake forcefully in the wind. 

despite how badly i felt on the inside every sensory told me i was alive and that everything was perfect just as it was.

i couldn't explain it but in that moment i was immensely grateful for what i had.

"you're not here by accident." kira walks from behind me.

i turn around to face her wind blowing my un-buttoned coat open. "what are you saying?" i move a stand of hair that was in my way covering my eyes.

"i'm saying that someone knew and sent you here to this place anyway." kira was patient but i could tell there was a sense of urgency the more she spoke. she gestures past the hill we stood on and down below over to where hundreds of Starkhouse students walked in a rush to get to class on time. "look around you. everyone is choosing sides." she tells me

Kira looks at me. "don't you get it? there is no good or evil anymore. you pick the team you want to win."

i throw my hands up exasperated. "why does everyone keep saying that?!" i whisper frustrated. "first rider now you." i no longer hid the fact that I've seen him. i was tired of lying tired of hiding a secret.

Kira glances at me in sympathy. "i may not agree with his political objective but he is right. this may come as a surprise to you but we're not immune to immoral action personal integrity be damned."

i didn't blame her. it was the situation that sucked big time. "it is a great view." i admit looking up again at the sky in marvelous wonder.

Kira whistles a distinct tune. "Edinburgh, now that is a sweet view. with its long-since dormant volcanoes reigning high over green moorlands, staggering landscape, and historic monuments, its definitely a top 25 for sure." she smiles remembering fond memories from her past.

i glance at her afraid my voice would betray me. i didn't want to interrupt but i couldn't take it no more. "you're leaving aren't you?" i close my eyes afraid by the answer.

kira steps in front of me grabbing both of my hands. "and you're coming with me." she says grinning her eyes shining with a promise of adventure.

i take a step away from her careful not to fall backwards off the cliff. "in case you haven't heard i can't fly." i point out the obvious because for some reason she didn't take notice.

kira grins sinfully. "that's where i come in." she raises her arms out to the side and right away within direct view i see a clump of strands crop up trimming beautifully across her shoulders and a few popping out from her shoulder blades.

right before my eyes a mass of feathers spread out to their original form. it hurt just looking at it. i wondered if she felt any pain as they grew out of her back. or maybe it was like getting a skinned knee from a bike ride.

"whoa." her jet black wings had a blend of color both in hues of green and dark blue roaming throughout like strips of sheet metal.

i wrap my arms around her as tight as i could manage. "is it safe?" i was nervous at the prospect that i might experience a dose of how toby lived every single day.

kira hums thoughtfully. she had both hands underneath my arms waiting until i said when. "just think of it as a wingspan- an extension outside the material body opening itself up to embrace the flight of wind for the sole purpose of unmasking its true strength."

before i knew it kira had us spiraling through a vortex created by her wings. if kira spoke in the heat of the moment i couldn't overhear what she had to say. the sound of swooshing through air at fast speed impacted my sense of hearing. 

instead of pleading for her to slow down i disregard the butterflies and forced myself to open my eyes and look at the earth. that flash of bright light had to be wesley since there were no stars out. 

in the blink of an eye he darted forward ahead of us.