Forty one

My eyes were exhausted from looking at one spot for too long plus I had a headache from studying. 

I could do with a distraction and Chanel was being a little too quiet for her own good. it was selfish not to mention petty of me to think only of myself since Chanel's newfound problem took precedent. 

-Being dead kinda rock-paper-scissor-bombed me every time. Sure, I had a gift that allowed me to see the dead but i didn't really know how to console my good friend, luckily we had a common enemy of sorts. 

okay so i wasn't even sure if the gate to heaven blimped out for natural causes. Maybe Chanel had to prove her worth before the music happened and the pearly white light glimmered down upon her.  

chanels muteness told me either one of two things and i wasn't sure which was worse. 1, she  could feel someone watching us too or, and hoping against hope, was it possible that for all of her private undercover shenanigans she found something out that could help us.

Chanel dissipates from my headboard and peers around the room. Her expression was tight with  worry and something else i couldn't understand.

I scoot closer and  look behind me to make sure no one was lurking close by. -I didn't have a reason to suspect the girls i lived with cared but I wasn't going to take any chances. All they'd see is me talking to myself and that would cause me more worry, and big time trouble. 

Right now i was looking forward to a good omen and those peppy Louis Vuitton clutch gloating gluttons must've found something better to do like smoke weed under the staircase before 'study hour' if the smell were any indication. 

i had a visceral  impression that i was being watched. I rub my arms to heat  them up. No one else was in the room but i still had an eerie feeling creep upon me.  

i look at Chanel and smile warmly. If she saw me nice and calm then maybe she would relax. 

really, there was no reason for her to keep stuff from me. especially when that 'what if' could help get the ball rolling.

Chanel did one last sweep of the room, even if we were the only ones in it, and kept her eyes to the door. Sometimes not being able to close it until lights out was a real drag.  

Chanel moves closer to me. Her eyes never breaking away from the door. "This place gives me a creepy vibe. Like,  there's something big going on in campus and whoever made that wall the length of fenced cattle has the ability to keep supernaturals out and knows exactly what they're doing." 

"what do you mean?" i ask her in a whisper not fully understanding.

i didn't mention anything but Chanel offered confirmation to my earlier suspicions. it wasn't one  particular incident that had made me believe something iffy was going on surrounding students that barely said ten words all morning and the mysterious eye contact that said more than monosyllables ever did. 

"all the trapped dead people I've stumbled across in my quest to find the portal stay far away from  the school. lots of times I've seen them in the woods and if you think about it that makes sense because the barrier i told you about ends that way." Chanel crosses her arms as if she were staving off a chilly burst of wind. 

My dorm wasn't first-class colossal or even jaw-dropping-like-wow. It was simple. Elegant if somewhat stuffed to the brim like a green bell pepper. There were no windows not even in the adjoined bathroom and i had never thought anything of it until now. 

there was a considerable raw iciness in the room that wasn't there before and for the first time ever life felt foreboding. 

I had twisted with the concept that i was ready to accept this new life that I had at stark house even as I harbored bitter antagonism that had to do with my sudden downfall, not the school itself, not to mention the expectations of me to adapt quicker than i could skip with open toed shoes.