eighty five

The pain in his eyes reached depths i hadn't seen before. The crushing pressure in my chest felt as if a tree had fallen on me. I could only nod when what I really wanted to do was wrap my arms around him tight.  

he stares at me puzzled. "how come you can see me?" 

that particular question was tricky to answer.

before i get a chance to explain what he was going through mason floats past the door and into the communal hall mumbling incoherently. 

I couldn't understand the words and went to follow him when i was still naked. "Mason." i whisper cautiously so as to not startle him. "wait where are you going?!" 

I struggled to pull on my sweatpants over moist freshly washed skin. 

I heard masons voice trail as i shoved in a second leg and tipped over against the door. Pulling on my sneakers I still struggled as I managed to open the door and stumbled into the hall. 

i speed walk after him making sure to shut the door completely. "wait up." i whisper fully aware that it was late even by my standards. 

my head snapped from side to side on high alert as i counted doors. there were only a few open doors which meant most of the girls on this floor were sleeping. Which meant I had to stay quiet because I didn't want to draw anyone out of their rooms. 

that attention would spiral a whole different kind of trouble. then i wouldn't be able to help Mason with his disturbing dilemma.

"where are you?" i run across the hall and race down the flight of stairs heading out the front door to the girls dormitory. 

i didn't see mason anywhere but it was dark and i'd wondered if i'd lost him.

suddenly mason re-appears looking quite distraught. and a little grey. "how did this happen?!" he cries out loud falling to his knees. almost immediately he hiccuped and tears flowed.

after some time when he couldn't cry anymore mason wiped his face clear and somberly stood up. it was as if he'd come to the realization dead was dead no matter what way you looked at it. 

he stared across the quad from where i stood in front of my building. 

alarms ring in my head when he concentrates on the woods.

cautiously i walk over to mason and try to calm him down mostly because it was too dark for me to go walking through the woods alone. "you don't remember anything, nothing at all?" i ask careful not to set him off. 

the last thing i wanted was to chase him down all around campus. if anyone saw me running back and forth in the quad they'd think i was nuts. i could imagine it now and i shook my head. 

finally mason looks at me as if he were considering my question for the first time. "i woke up like this." his throat raw and scratchy. 

despite my pleading for him to stop mason floats ahead not giving me a forethought. i generally made it a rule to stay away from the woods. every nagging thought was screaming not to go inside but i went.

my tolerance for long distance was getting better thanks to ms. pratt and her boot camp endurance training. 

swiftly i run around a tree and high jump over large pointy rocks on my way over to mason who was now floating high in the air just above my head.

i look around panting heavily. "where are we?" the dead calm of  my voice covered the fact that my adrenaline amped to maximum and my heart jumped between my throat and my collarbone.