sixty eight

i was surprised jett was able to find space and clear time away from his arch bishop duties. like jesus was the beloved son of god whorsipped by millions jett was just as loved by the people at roman catholic diases.

i brace myself for the worst.

it was strange and bizarre and though i did nothing wrong it felt like my parents were coming just because they wanted to make sure i was socially interacting with other kids.

sitting down with my mom and jett after weeks of not seeing them was surreal. and as it turned out the professor had nothing but positive reviews which included my willingness to connect with others, which im sure threw my mother for a loop.

the professor even mentioned a few teachers who i didnt think knew my name had sterling commentary about my participation and continued effort.

while dr. cambridge has recommended counseling the headmistress didn't think that was a necessary step in my recovery at this time. it was with my strong belief that the sensible choice would be to let me square out changes and settle any compromising adjustments i may be experiencing.

i released a sigh i had been holding on to. a metric ton of pressure from my chest pulled my shoulders down from around my ears and unclenched my sore jaw. at least for now i was safe.

dr. cambridge would check back in a few months about my progress but i couldn't think about that right now. i could stay. that was all that mattered.

i was so excited and filled with joy that i wanted to see kira even though i couldn't tell her why. none of the students at starkhouse could know about my relationship with the headmistress and the conditions that dr. cambridge made that i had accepted without a fight.

after my parents said their farewells and took off i get up from the sofa and pass by a photo on the headmistresses desk of two women hugging each other; one had red hair which i took as being the headmistress smiling with a black haired woman. "nice photo."

some emotion flashed in her eyes but i couldn't quite see what it was through her thick glasses.

since it was open and because there was no point in going back to ms. prats class now i went to the library all the while thinking that photo of the mystery woman that had dark hair reminded me of what my grandma looked like from the limited photos i'd seen.

only now she had wrinkles near her eyes. i really missed her. the weekend couldn't some fast enough.

i made sure not to bump into anyone as i went across the quad. instead of texting everyone was hurrying on their way off to make sure they didnt miss lunch.

i eyed the gargoyle statues that loomed over me from the roof of the building. they sat above the columns on all fours at attention as if they couldn't wait to come alive from a long day of resting and scour the campus at the first sign of trouble.

everything about the statues creeped me out. they were like an imposing mascot ready to fight with their heads high, mouths open in twisted angry growls, claws protruded as if they were waiting for something to happen at any given moment.

i look down and enter the library.