Forty seven

i scoot my chair back from under the table and peek over at Toby once i take my seat.

Toby had tubes drawn perfectly while the summary, already done, was on the bottom of the page in eligible cursive.

"quit sulking and label these." toby grunts. 

he extends the almost finished paper my way and without a second thought drops it on the table - thwack- "i'll be right back. the cabbage needs to be warm enough for its nutrients to be released."

Toby then dumps the cabbage onto the plate and leaves me to it.

with my pencil in hand i identify each sample from one to three. 

i know it wasn't the most original form of label classification but i wasn't good at naming things off the top of my head. 

besides, its not like there was a right or wrong way to label unknown pH level. 

i bet if i'd labeled them r,g,b, mr. baryo wouldn't care.

a little while after i finished Toby came back and wrapped the filters carefully around the cabbage so that it would soak up and absorb the vegetables liquid.

once Toby sat down he silently handed me scissors from his backpack.

i grab one of the filters without breaking it and start cutting. 

it was relaxing to have a monotonous task that could distract me from the surplus of lingering animosity that was very much the connotation of our blue elephant situation.

"just to clarify, your assumption of me as a person is dead wrong." Toby says all of a sudden. "i'm not the good guy you think i am. what if i told you i was bad and you should stay away from me?"

i raise an eyebrow impressed. "you're speaking. look at that." okay so maybe i did sound catty but in my defense he was just so...so.....prickly

once i'm finished i lay my strips out and put the scissors between us for him to take whenever. 

i sit back and take a look at my handiwork. 

so they weren't edge of the ruler straight, so what? where did it say in the rules how it should look? 

no, the ones i made were more crooked and had sharp jagged edges. overall i was pleased with how i did.

-"im sorry."

i look at him skeptically. "for?" i hated when i was forced to talk. -if it wasn't for the silence i would have generally missed what he said. a part of me wished i wasn't curious what he was about to say. 

i didn't understand where the conversation was heading but i figured it wasn't about his kid scissors that could be purchased for chump change anywhere.

"....being discreet about yesterday."

i grin. oh. that. during our conversation i noticed Toby never stopped cutting equally symmetrical strips. his long fingers were graceful not clumsy. i could never seem to multi-task like him. 

i look around not knowing where to begin."it-its none of my business and quite frankly i don't care. can we drop it?" i ask him feeling hopeful. 

-i look around, confused. "What happens now?" without Toby barking  commands i didn't know what was supposed to happen next.

Toby momentarily stops cutting and openly stares at me. "you're seriously asking me that?" his grey eyes were humorless. his glare intense. 

i roll my eyes impatiently. "with the strips." i enunciate.