Forty three

I woke up groggily with no Chanel approaching my headboard. 

These days she only ever stayed long enough to keep me company and left once my droopy eyelids showed signs of falling asleep. 

Truthfully i wasn't sure what was going on with her and i was worried about us. i had always thought of our friendship as spirit bound, we were sisters who told each other just about anything without judgement or reprieve. 

That didn't mean I was about to spill my guts to her because i was feeling abandoned and left out. 

And i wasn't about to summon Chanel just to keep tabs on her whereabouts. she knew where to find me in case something of interest happened. 

While Chanel did some research i attended school.

My being had a sole purpose and that was to get Chanel through a working portal that could take her straight into heaven where she belonged. No matter how long that took. her faith in me was astounding and i sometimes wondered how dead people felt having me to rely on with there afterlife. no pressure. 

and yet despite everything going on i still had class to take and there were people that i couldn't ignore, no matter how badly i wanted to. 

as student schedules went Wildlife and Agriculture Education was the most popularly misregarded course i had. 

astonishingly i was doing well in mr. baryos' more than expected. and i was never stunned. 

-anyone who suddenly saw there dead friend come back to life had sound cause to shit bricks, so that didn't count.  

in whatever groove this fast track was pulling me, i had no idea some form of chemistry would be involved for today's project. major suck-o my brains out.

at least I had Toby, a person who knew what he was doing.

in just a few days time i knew more about plants than my grandmother, a metaphysical healer, had taught me. i could possibly even give her a few loaner tips just for gaggles. i bet she would appreciate that.   

Mr. Baryo was all tooth and cheek today, wearing a lovely powder blue cotton down shirt that nicely complimented his baby blue eyes with a colorful polka dotted tie for embellishment and churchgoing pants, as he addressed the class. 

mr. baryo stood in front of his desk as he spoke. 

"Since we are discussing the proper aesthetics of soil i thought it would help if we completed a hands on project to better understand the basic principles of soil pH level." Mr. Baryo says, his plump square hands waving in the air as he spoke. 

The teacher was enthusiastic about it all.

we already knew many plants are quite forgiving and will sustain life but there are some particular in regards to the type of soil planted; for example, if the soil was too sweet or too sour the plants wont take up the nutrients needed to thrive and grow properly.

Now we were taking our notes to action. no chapter reading this time. it was just me and Toby and reserved silence and the headache by form of bitterness. 

so far toby's muted presence was cultivating into a series of mutual dislike. 

today I felt like i could endure what he dished out because for once it proved reassuring to have a smart-ass in my back pocket. he was here so I had to put him to good use. 

i was sure that there were equally smart kids in my class but none of them could say they had Toby for a partner. 

one thing i did notice was the great lengths the students went to turn a blind eye whenever they were near. they would pass us by and walk a great length of distance around our table each time which i thought of as funny because neither of us had the flu. at least, i didn't.