ninety five

it was the weekend and i was off to grandmas house. 

considering it was Sunday and i couldn't very well imagine going any place else i was on my way to pay grandma a little visit. i took Tobys advice and made a day of it. i figured spending time with my favorite person in the world would be good for me.  

though i didn't expect for Wesley to volunteer and come with. i'd agreed to it only because i knew they would get along. plus they were both very special to me and i thought it was about time for them to meet and get to know one another.

instead of taking a cab i'd foolishly decided to talk Wesley into a small tour on foot. it was quite a trek but thankfully wesley's attitude made it a pleasant distraction from thoughts of Toby.

"i didn't know you were from this town." wesley says looking around at the quaint unremarkable buildings. it was no Stark House that was for sure. 

here people shoveled their own snow and butchered their own meat to last until spring when mornings were brighter and longer. by this time the weather was severely messing with their heads. days were short and mostly dark. this side of the continent was no island paradise. 

i grimace. "i'm not." i tell him. did i mention my family was dysfunctional? i snorted. "i grew up next town over. it's a good distance to the resort where my grandma lives." i explain. 

my mom chose the farthest place away from her mom that she could afford. it was just my darn luck that a trip to grandmas was twenty minutes without traffic going by car. 

the best way to get back at mom was to go there. but mostly i was attached to grandma as she was to me. 

"wow." Wesley kicks a small pebble and whistles a fetching tune. "i don't believe I've ever been this way before." he says humming out loud. 

the scenery was nice to look at if people could stand fake cactus plants and rock cliffs for benches. 

i laugh knowing it was unusual to have a roasted peanut stand all year round even in the snow. but residents liked it. heck, they came around for a bag of hot nuts a few times a day. 

i think its safe to say that when you grow up in the mountains you get used to the cold. 

"yeah." i muse out loud. "many generations have lived on this here resort. tourists wouldn't know how to find it." i tell him. 

after my sister became the custody of the ward my grandma and mom packed us up and we just drove. for miles we saw nothing but giant trees. grandma found the resort by chance. 

"i like it." wesley makes a point to look around. it made me feel happy to have brought him. 

-i supposed him accompanying me was good for the both of us. i could only imagine how distraught wesley was after finding masons body in the woods like that. 

i kept conversation light steering clear of all reminders of mason. 

"it's got heritage. you don't see that too often." the manner in which wesley spoke about the place i grew up in was sincere.

he wasn't haughty and antisocial unlike toby. 

i didn't know how but wesley seemed to let go for a bit. he didn't let his his broken heart ruin our day. considering the state in which our lives were turning it didn't mean we couldn't have a little fun in between trying to stay alive. 

who knows maybe wesley was undergoing a change of perspective and wanted to be friends with me again. whatever the reason wesley was accompanying me i was just glad to have him around.