seventy seven

winter break wasn't all that bad since i had key people that not only kept me company but made me laugh even when i didn't feel my best.

i didn't know mason for being a rebel. however, it was interesting to witness that side of him. still, i'd concluded whatever the reason it was a good one. 

otherwise why drag me along.

i walk by an empty hall glad i had a fourteen day calendar of homework free boxes and zero classes on my schedule. it felt good doing random things at the drop of a notice even though i didn't know why i was doing them.

"you know toby, right?" i figured it was about time we got to know each other more personally.

mason shrugs apathetic to my reaction. "not in the friend context, but sure."

i drag my hand along the cold blue metal lockers as i walk on by them. "whats his connection to dankia?" i wanted to see his reaction when i said her name.

"sorry." mason stands in one place to check for any roaming footsteps not belonging to us. it would be detention for us if we got caught. if anyone had asked we were in the lunch hall. 

"couldn't tell you." he throws me a sympathetic look. "but i do know people like her even less." he says for my benefit.

i think about the implication of what he just said. "really. why?" 

Wesley had already told me what he thought of toby but it wasn't like i could push my lab partner to the side like he wasn't right there.

mason opens a door that leads into another long hallway. "she picked the wrong side."

i stay low and follow him. "people are really into that sort of thing, huh?"

mason looks at me all serious. "stick around long enough to find allies more valuable than marketplace goods."

it wasn't that complex for me to understand. at stark house they were more than just wayward kids who had successful parents with deep-pocketed connections; once a friendship was made it was kinship.

"whose locker did i help you break into anyway?" i ask him once the coast was clear. 

mason chuckles for no reason. "sorry that information is privileged."

i cluck my tongue annoyed. "don't tell me some unlucky person is missing a chapstick." i taunt

mason grins. "trust me. you do not want to know." he insists. 

i sigh feeling drained. "fine the least you could do is tell me why i got dragged out here in the first place."

"sorry." mason says. "no can do. besides, you'll know soon enough."

i remain silent touching lockers i pass by. though his strange behavior was annoying maybe being in the dark was best.

thankfully mason didnt use a fast stride around me like he normally would have. i let him walk ahead delegating our way back in record time. 

i knew my way around but i didn't want to roam the dark empty halls alone.

"by the way, this should make you happy." mason stops walking abruptly causing me to be on guard.

"whats that?" i look both ways certain no one followed us.

he peeks at me over his shoulder with a huge playful grin. "you're invited to wesleys birthday." he mentions unexpectedly.

i stare at the back of his head. "its wesleys birthday?" there was no way i could scrounge for a present on such short notice.

"yes and no." he continues to walk leaving me behind.

his three-worded meaning lost me. "ok, explain." i quickly follow after him.

mason shrugs. "better to have it done with people he wouldn't punch me in front of."

he was self composed for someone worried about getting roughhoused. 

"why a birthday party though?" i stopped celebrating my birthday long ago. i could buy myself a gift any time i wanted.

mason flashes his teeth. "my good buddy doesn't like to celebrate his birthday and i know for a fact he would want you there."

i stay quiet trying not to let old issues influence my decision. 

i take a deep breathe and blink unformed tears away. something inside of me was festering ready to be let out once and for all. it wasn't the right place to get carried away by my feelings. i would do that later when i was alone. 

a party. i could do that. i hope. 

i wipe my cheeks using the sleeve of my sweater when mason briefly looks at me. i was all panic mode. 

it was difficult to say if he caught me acting out in a time of grief and because his was the kind of character who observed from afar and let people deal with their own emotions i didn't know what he was thinking.

"can i ask you something?" his question surprised me.

i nearly sigh relieved at the sound of his voice. "shoot." i hug myself for comfort walking next to him shoulder to shoulder.

mason looks ahead in front of him. "what is it about wesley?" he asks in a low voice.

even though i was close by i could barely hear him. we were in a restricted area and had to be quiet unless we wanted to get caught.

i hum thinking. "well, he's sensitive. and thoughtful." i add just a few.

he makes a pained expression. "sadly that wont get me far but a bruised face." he touches his nose wincing. "im vain, aislin. my looks are the only thing i got going for me."

i wasn't about to sugar coat it just because he was scared. "theres nothing wrong by showing you care. a kind word. a simple gesture goes a long way."

mason stops walking and looks at me over his shoulder.

from where i stood muffled chatter drifted on passed the other side of the door. i knew what they were serving for dinner and i couldn't wait to eat. my stomach was growling at the idea of food in mouth.

"we never speak of this again." mason says opening the door.

fine by me.

i follow mason inside executing a closed zipper of the mouth. "no problem." i tell him before throwing away the key.