ninety nine

dinner was not a big event.

the spices in my tofu masala were actually pretty good. i didn't wash it down with water because i had a perfectly good coke that i was saving to open.

i rip the garlic naan bread apart to scoop up the remnants of the potent orangey-red sauce.

the smell of it reminded me that i went days without eating. i wasn't hungry then but sitting down with the bowel in front of me i was starving. it was like i couldn't get enough in my mouth fast enough before my hand could shovel. 

"is that stuff any good?" brian turns to me and asks.

i stuff my mouth full. "ah-huh." i say not really in the mood to share.

sleep came faster than expected. although what happened next did throw me in a loop.

before i went to bed each night i wondered if i would see toby. after weeks of not hearing from him in my dreams i pretty much just about gave up on that hope. 

however seeing him right in front of me right now i couldn't stay mad. all that anger i held on to naturally deflated once i saw him, leaving my usual sarcastic self to fill its place.

ok so i wasn't good at having intimate connection but i was working on it.  

"i don't now if i should be flattered or disturbed." i tell toby. 

honestly. it was just a matter of time until i saw toby in one of my dreams. although a social call would have been sufficient and probably much more appropriate.

tobys suave hair was slicked back exposing his dapper face. there was a tiny rosebud scar on his forehead temple. the new growth of skin healed perfectly with just a tinge of pink around the edges. he was an angel who could get hurt, duly noted. 

tobys hands were in his pocket. an impressive silver watch on his wrist. "yeah, well, i wanted to make sure you were all right." 

i grimace suppressing a deep sigh when the masculine scent of his cologne drifted past me in waves. my smirk turns into a blown out smile when i realized we were alone. 

"this little habit of yours has become inconvenient. and a little uncomfortable." i say feeling disgusted that yet again he pictured me as some frilly girl. *sigh*  when was he going to learn that i was more of a jeans and t-shirt person. 

well, at least i didn't have any heels on. that was one satisfying thought. 

toby looks at me confused. "are you saying you don't like the dress?" appreciating the material his icy blue eyes filtered across the racy fabric that tiered down exposing the crevice of my breast and the skin of my upper stomach.    

i was at a loss for words. 

on one hand, i didn't want to be rude since toby did go out of his way for me but at the same time, and know one knew this about me, but i was a girl who longed for cheesy ordinary romantic things without stirring complication like star gazing during late night walks, and getting flowers just because.

sure i was hell bent on protecting my friends no matter what the cost but on the inside, somewhere deep-seated, i enjoyed classic fairy tale stories.

i snort. "like it? why can't i ever wear something, i dunno, less flashy." was the word that came out of my mind. 

toby snaps his fingers and presto. "there." he says smiling in satisfaction.

i pick at the v-neck floor length dress. it was better. i had to admit the color was nice.