107

Kira turns around with her back facing me. "Get on. From here we travel by air. It's safer that way."

I inhale a big gulp of air to brace myself. "are you sure?" Kira had a strong grip but it was possible that my weight could break her.

Kira sighs. "yes now get on already." she bends her knees while standing feet apart waiting for me to climb on her back like i weighed nothing at all.

it was tricky because of the wings but i managed to wrap my arm around her shoulder and the other just under her left armpit. "fine. but fair warning, i'm like a hundred and five pounds made up of pretty much all bone." i tell her. "i'm heavy." i warn her.

kira turned around and grinned. "Get ready." she said as she skillfully and easily leapt into the air.

As Kira promised the nausea didn't hit me as hard the second time around. We left the woods for higher ground indeed.

i take a deep breathe smelling the fresh air feeling grateful that i had two feet on the ground. could it get any better. being on top of a mountain changed the human senses to a more heightened degree. i wondered if Kiras ears were popped like mine.

"Now we walk." Kira didn't waste time in navigating which way we should go. It was a simple one way path that pretty much went straight up.

i followed kira and made sure not to look down. "So, tell me more about pravuil. From tobys account it sounded like they didn't get along." i say.

Kira screws up one side of her face. "That's putting it mildly. To put it simply when it counted pravuil wasn't around."

i glanced at kiras side profile when she wasn't looking.

no matter what happened between us she was always there. even when toby and wesley left me kira stayed to mase sure i was alright.

"With Toby it's complicated." kira tells me out of nowhere.

not expecting for another conversation i clear my throat. i looked up from the rocky ground and took a quick glance at her. "How so?" i ask. just maybe she could fill me in on the person he was before it happened.

kira shrugs. "One day he just stopped." she says.

"Like how?" i ask her.

at first kira didn't say. i figured so maybe she didn't feel like talking about it.

then she glances at me and i knew just by looking in her eyes that whatever she was thinking in that moment held painful memories of lifetimes rolled into one film screen that she couldn't get rid of. "Subtle differences at first. Then his attitude changed like he stopped caring. He became disinterested in life. i wasn't that special person who could make it better." 

She looked at me and then shrugged her shoulders. the light in her eyes returned and i knew she was done tripping down memory lane. "It takes some people a lot longer to forgive themselves you know."

i look at kira smiling. "you care about him."

kira sinkers. she sticks her tongue out at me and smiles.  "more than wesley does that's for sure."

i knew what she meant.

i didn't mind the silence that continued on for the rest of our uphill trek. i went with kira to the catacombs but i was going for another reason. i figured that if i came with her without a fight maybe pravuil could tell me once and for all who i was. would i still be the same aislin? or would something else take over my body and by association my life?

finally we come to a head stop.

just a couple yards ahead there was a big structure. although on first glance the tall building didn't seem like much because of its decrepit mass it was really gigantic. when kira looked at it i knew we were at the place that was supposed to help us figure out if i was the destroyer and the memories along with who i was. even if it didn't work i would feel good knowing that at least we tried. That small victory took the pressure off.

Kira looks my way sympathetically. "the sanctuary is meant only for those who are seeking inner wisdom. i know who i am." she said. "your spiritual path is leading you to the catacombs but i cant go with you." 

freaking out i stare back at her with what i'm sure were bug eyes. "so. So you're just going to let me go in a creepy mausoleum all by myself. well, i suppose its a damn good thing i'm not afraid of the dark." i mutter sarcastically. I turn around and take a look at the towering building.

"watch out for scorpions. i hear their bite is painful. don't worry, if you really are immortal the venom shouldn't kill you." Kira advises.

"great. just great." i mumble walking on by myself.