sixty two

ever since that stupid dream i'd been misunderstanding every comment wesley uttered to me unsure of how to answer back because i was indecisive and uncertain if there were some hidden context he wanted me to find but i was missing.

the entire situation was aggravating, surely, because he was nice to everyone and so of course he would talk to me even if i didn't say much initially.

the headmistress was copying more packets for our test in the back. technically school hadn't begun yet and so a few stragglers were getting in their seats before the bell rang and they were marked down as delinquent tardy.

Wesley stares at me with a cheeky grin. his brown eyes wide and alert. "earth to aishlin." he waves to catch my attention.

i shake my head laughing breathlessly. "sorry about that. i was just mentally going over a few things." i tell him scatterbrained. what was he saying?

"i said what do you think about The Thing From Another World?"

"is that what's playing?"

wesley shakes his head. "its another one of his. the one we're watching is scarface."

i smile. "cool. actually, i think i've seen it before. the remake, i mean." i correct myself ashamed that i never saw the original. it was something i just never got around to.

"so have i." wesley grins mischievously. "i keep watching it because of Mason."

"he is persistent." i say remembering the time he argued Casablanca was anything out of the ordinary. there wasn't a particular need for me to prove why i liked something or didn't.

wesley chuckles wryly. "you have no idea."

"Howard Hawks was a chameleon director." i muse thinking about the movie I Was a Male War Bride. if you got past the title you would see the movie for what it was.

"i agree." wesley chimes in. "his ability to tackle virtually every genre under the sun, with films that still stand among the best in that style is a rarity."

"wow. so you like movies, huh?" i wasn't surprised. he was proficient in a broad scope of things. 

"what can i say i'm a sucker for the classics." wesley grins, a twinkle in his brown eyes.

i made a 'tip of the hat' gesture even though i had nothing on top of my head. "that's very commendable of you sir." 

we laugh and i lean back once darcy takes his spot next to me effectively blocking wesley from my view. talk later? i mouth to him as the bell rang.

wesley signals a high thumbs up in response.

the headmistress didn't waste time passing around test packets.

darcy had one dissimilar to mine. 

"eyes on your own paper." she passes by my row. "oh and in case any of you are tempted to cheat i would like to point out that everyone has a different set of questions."

i catch the headmistress glance at her wristwatch briefly. "you have until the bell rings then hand it over or receive the same effort you put into it." the headmistress takes her seat at the front of the classroom. "re-takes are not optional."

finally after her long speech i write my name atop the first page and do the easy questions first before i moved on to the more difficult ones.

the entire class went silent for the most part.

the only thing heard was turning of pages and the occasional cough. it being cold and flu season i wasn't surprised to hear people sneezing.

it was just a matter of time before i caught the bug. i made a note to ask my grandma for a bag of homeopathic remedies this weekend. getting through finals would be a lot easier if i didnt come down with something. plus, grandma knew how to beat everything from a simple tummy ache to a sore throat. 

i forgo the extra credit that was at the bottom of the last page since it wasn't mandatory and flip the packet back in its rightful order and leaf through it once more in case i missed a question by accident. 

that happened sometimes and i wouldn't find out i'd missed a question until after when there was nothing i could do about it.

i hated when that happened.

after looking over the test a third time for any mistakes i might have missed i scoot my chair back and get up and walk to the front of the classroom. one by one the line got smaller as each hopeful student handed in their packets some with optimistic looks others with unhappy frowns.

finally not long after it becomes my turn.

"just set it down with the rest of them." the headmistress tells me as she fixed her attention to the laptop.

not saying a word i do as she says and walk back to my seat next to Darcy who was currently drooling on his desk. 

drained and exasperated i use my backpack as a support and hug it like i would a stuffed animal.

since there was nothing better to do but sleep i closed my eyes and waited for the bell to ring. my sordid imagination had a mind all its own as short flashes of a man wearing a coat dove into a sea of water aroused me to wake up.

if all i could think about was death what did that say about me?

the bell rings and i get up to leave without answering that question.

"see you later?" wesley asks behind me.

i nod my head. "yeah. yeah, defitaetly." i put a smile on my face walking out the classroom.