seventy nine

somehow we made it work out just fine.

"so. what's next?" I asked trying to point the spotlight on Kira and away from me.

"sit tight. I'm waiting for someone."

a beach ball was thrown and I could distinctly hear someone behind me yelling. that anxious voiced belonged to mason.

two guys were standing at the dj booth. 

the one with black end headphones placed over one ear looked at the screen of the laptop and nodded his head while mason played with the controller that also gave him manipulation over the lights if he felt like changing things up. 

the stand was a legit professional setup with two light powered speakers and wires hooked up so that the digital equipment was connected to each other. the live set up had a controller with knobs and push-buttons that were already fixed in their placed setting.

focused and in charge mason reached over and did something with the two additional black spin tabletops and the beat changed double time, even faster now, a dynamic myriad of festive energetic tempos pulsating and throbbing from the dance floor. 

the addictive energy that had filtered from the speakers was both melodic and had produced the desired the effect. 

living in the heat of the moment, everyone was high-spirited and frenetic, dancing animatedly and throwing their arms up in one big tireless movement.

while they danced I watched mason dj.

though mason was busy doing multiple things at once, he looked at peace, undeniably in his element, switching from one laptop to the next and pumping his fist in the air, the laser lights beaming from his black gloves changing green to blue. 

mason shouted into the microphone. 

I hadn't seen this confidence in him before and it was hypnotic.

The music went back on, so only I could here mason telling the other guy what was up. 

"you can spice up your mixes with a broad range of droops and loops. this new system lets you Play two or more tracks at the same time and adjust their relative speed, like that, so that they're tempo will match, see?" mason fiddled with the laptop and the buttons on the controller at the same time.

"disc jockey, give the people what they want to hear. i don't care how you match it up and create remixes on-the-fly. you have a plethora of effects. if you want to use Traditional Flanger or Echo that's cool. Personally, i like Beat-Grid, Slicer, and Loop Roll." mason gave his headphones over and the self-composed guy took them one-handed.

"and, no, seriously, whatever you choose, when your crossfading the tracks from one side to the other if you cant find a chart-topping song get it from the internet and just stream it directly then access the previous playlists. all right, brother its yours. faith. you got this man." mason fist pounds the guy.

"permet de faire ce bébé." the guy standing next to mason was hot. 

"do what you do." said mason.

the song changes and the DJ gets to work while mason steps down from the booth.

i watched as mason walked through a billow of fog, his entire face flushed and sweaty. wild green eyes searched for something and landed on the girl next to me. 

"there's good fortune in small numbers." i overheard him repeat to himself. 

now that he was on the dance floor mason still seemed agitated as he walked over to us.