Chapter 18

There was no saving Jordan's shirt, that was for sure. The white material had long since been stained red with both her blood and the blood of the hunters.

She'd also learned that the hunters were shooting for the chest height of a standing person, so she went low or high as she pounced on them, making sure that the scratches she left on them were shallow but deadly. And as much as she wanted to tear out their throats with her teeth like a real wolf, she settled for snapping necks over creating a beta and dooming someone else to this life, even if they were a corrupted hunter.

And every time a body fell she had to remind herself that she wasn't back with Deucalion and Ennis anymore. She had to remind herself that this was for her family, so that her brother and father didn't have to lose her again. So that her boyfriend didn't have to die - if he was even her boyfriend.

Maybe she should've asked him about that so she could die with some semblance of certainty. Too late to do anything about it now though.

Angie was also an attacker rather than a defender like Scott was. She saw eliminating the threat as the best way to protect everyone while Scott saw that defending everyone was the best way to protect them.

Her eyes made it easy to sneak through the smoke that still lingered in the air, her body flipping and twisting like a ninja as she weaved between hunters. The battle seemed to rage for hours as Angie's already exhausted body began to tire even more and she wondered how much more they could take.

And even though she kept getting up after every bullet she took, across town Jordan had locked himself in the locker room as his body was paralysed with pain, with the agony of every punch, every scratch and every bullet wound that Angie was hit with.

But not for much longer as Angie picked up a hunter by his vest and slammed him onto his back as she roared in his face, only to hear a buzz. Followed by more buzzes as the gunfire seemed to stop.

One by one, the hunters pulled out their phones to see a message from the Benefactor.

One that read,

ALL CONTRACTS TERMINATED.

Angie rose to her full height as she shifted back, her eyes still staying red as she turned to the hunters still standing. "Leave," she ordered simply, her hands balled in fists, her chest moving up and down and her hair blowing behind her as if daring someone to come at her.

And one did as he fired a single bullet at her.

A bullet she ducked easily as it lodged itself into a stone pillar behind her.

And as she flicked her hair back up, she shifted as she roared, "LEAVE!"

And the hunters went running at the sound, Scott also stepping up behind her with his red eyes as he shifted, ready to back her up. But he didn't need to as all of them left and Angie felt ready to collapse as her adrenaline began to fade.

"Is it really over?" Kira asked as she reached for Scott's hand.

"Yeah," he exhaled.

"Thank god for that," Angie huffed as she turned to face the five of them. "I love you all, but seriously, don't call me for the next few days so I can sleep this off."

They all chuckled as she walked out, everyone trickling out after her as she limped her way to the Sheriff's Station. Something in her leg definitely healed wrong. But she made it. Bloodied and slightly broken, she made it to the Sheriff's Station where she was met by her father.

"Hi daddy," she laughed tiredly, finding hilarity in the situation.

Noah's concerned and worried expression changed into a teary smile as he surged forward to hug her, mindful of his arm. "Hi sweetheart," he returned as she chuckled into his shoulder before she saw who stood behind him.