Chapter 54

The next day Angie and her father got a rather strange phone call from Natalie, not to mention the coyote howl she heard from all the way at the station.

"Malia. It's ok. You're safe," Scott promised as he walked into the storage room Malia had once used to lock herself away on a full moon before they moved to the lake house. "I'm not going to hurt you," Scott said as Angie, Noah, Lydia and Natalie walked in to see a coyote with blue eyes growling at them from the corner. "I think she's calming down."

But Malia only growled at them.

"Maybe one of you should growl back," Noah suggested uncertainly and he and Natalie flinched as the growling became louder.

"Scotty, you're her alpha," Angie pointed out as she met Malia's eyes and it was almost as if she was trying to talk to her, trying to tell her something.

"Can't you do something to make her a little more docile?" Noah asked.

"She's not the problem," Lydia blurted. "We are. This is her territory. We need to get out of here."

They all hid around the corner by the door, but Angie didn't move.

"Angie-" Noah called.

"Just give me a minute dad," she said as she took slow steps towards the growling coyote.

Eventually, the alpha knelt down and let Malia come to her, the coyote nuzzling into her body as she inhaled her scent, embracing her as Angie began to hum, trying to calm down the girl further when Lydia's eyes widened.

"Angie. That song," she blurted as her humming stopped. "That song. What is that song?" Lydia asked and Angie furrowed her brows even though she couldn't actually see her.

"Uh, it's a lullaby my mother used to sing to me," she answered uncertainly.

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow," Noah added. "Ange likes humming it to calm herself down. Why?"

"The words!" Lydia exclaimed. "What are the words?" she asked, ignoring the confused looks everyone was giving her.

"Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there's a land that I heard of once, in a lullaby. Somewhere over the rainbow, Stiles is blue."

The eyes of the two teens widened at the sound of the name.

"Keep going!" Scott urged.

"But the dreams that he dares to dream, really do come true. Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me and my Angie. Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops. That's where you'll find me and my babies."

She only sang one more verse, but it was enough to get Malia to shift back as all the attention shifted to her.

"It's alright. I'm ok," Malia insisted as she sat up.

"Natalie?" Angie called as the boys averted their eyes and the teacher came over with Malia's clothes as she began to get dressed again.

"Any idea what made her shift?" Noah asked.

"She's under a lot of pressure," Scott explained. "School, her life after graduation."

"Her mom trying to kill her," Lydia added.

"But that shouldn't make her shift," Scott reasoned.

"It made me shift yesterday," Angie voiced and Scott furrowed his brows.

"What do you mean?"

The girl shrugged. "I was overwhelmed by a lot of things, and I had a panic attack and couldn't control my shifting," she answered.

"How'd you stop it?" Lydia asked.

"Same way I normally do. Jordan."

"Then why did Malia shift back when Angie touched her?" Noah wondered.

"Her scent," Malia explained, her clothes now on as they re-joined the group. "It wasn't the same, but it was calming. Someone that smelled like you used to help me through the full moons," Malia stated and Angie looked mildly concerned.

"Could this be connected to Stiles? Or Angie because of her song?" Scott asked Lydia.

"Hard to tell since we don't know what a Stiles is," Lydia replied.

"It's a 'he'," Noah informed.

"Who?" Scott questioned.

"Stiles. It's a family nickname," Noah said.

"Dad never used it, but grandpa did," Angie realised.

"Can you tell us anything about him?" Lydia asked urgently.

"Yeah. Come with me," Noah said, somewhat sceptically as he walked out of the building.

"At least you found out who Stiles was. I still have no idea who Mischief is," Angie remarked casually as they went, and Lydia grabbed her arm.

"Did you say Mischief?"

Angie furrowed her brows as she nodded. "He's one of my anchors but I can't remember who."

"When Lydia wrote Stiles' name," Scott revealed. "She wrote it in block letters. She wrote it using the word mischief. I think Stiles and Mischief are the same person."

Angie wasn't sure how to process that as Lydia let go of her and Noah placed a hand on her back. "Sweetheart, why don't you head back to the station?" he suggested. "I'll finish up with these guys. I think you should stick around Parrish."

"Yeah," she muttered uncertainly. "Yeah, ok."

"You going to be alright getting back?" he worried, and she nodded.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be fine."

And as she walked out the doors, she couldn't help but feel that Stiles was on the tip of her tongue, so close yet so far.

And it royally pissed her off.