Chapter 75

Angie left Theo in the bathrooms a little longer so he could finish healing and calm down a little. She now stood with Jordan at the windows again, her anxiety building as she returned to biting her nails and the clock kept ticking down to midnight.

"Stop," Jordan ordered as he turned away from the window and she pulled her thumb out of her mouth.

"What?" 

"You know what," he said with a pointed look as she dropped her hand to her side, knowing how he was trying to help her stop her anxious habits in an effort to try and ease her anxiety. "Take a breath," he said as he took her hand, fiddling with her engagement ring with his thumb as her chest rose and fell, once, twice. "Slower." And she was wrapped into his arms as she hugged his torso, his muscles rippling with tension of his own but not as bad as hers. "It's gonna be ok. We're going to figure it out."

"And if we don't?" she asked, her lips pressing into his shoulder.

"Then those hunters won't stand a chance against us."

Angie wished she could've stayed like that in Jordan's arms forever, but she could do that once they escaped this situation. She had to let go anyway when her father approached, worry etched on his face.

"You alright, Angie?" he asked, her hand still linked with Jordan's.

"I'm not alright, but I feel better," she answered and he nodded.

"It'll be alright, sweetheart," her father promised, and she wished she'd inherited his optimism before she felt Jordan grow still.

"Everyone, get down!" he bellowed as he grabbed Angie's body and threw them both to the floor, his body shielding her as he spotted the grenade that had landed on the floor.

One that exploded just after Jordan's warning gave them barely any time to take cover. But even though it was a smoke grenade, it still left Angie's ears ringing, along with Jordan's as their vision became cloudy.

"What the hell was that?" she heard Malia's voice ask as they coughed through the smoke.

"A distraction," he answered and her eyes widened as they all rose to their feet.

"They said midnight!" her father exclaimed, outraged as he drew his gun and prepared to go charging through the doors.

"Stop! Daddy, stop! Dad!" Angie pleaded as she grabbed his arms and tried to push him away from the exit.

"The grenade came from in here," Jordan informed the sheriff quickly and quietly. "It was one of us."

Angie's eyes were then scanning deputies but she had no idea who it was, everyone's hearts were beating rapidly from the fact that an armed mob was waiting to kill them outside. Liam then came out from the holding cell with Nolan in his grip before he held up a vial filled with a purple liquid.

"Wolfsbane," he announced and Angie knew there was a reason she didn't like Nolan. "He was trying to kill them. And Scott, there's something else you need to see," the beta informed as they handed Nolan over to Jordan who escorted Nolan into another room and left another deputy to watch him. Angie's eyes drifted to where Theo stood, having also watched the scene with Liam and Scott, and he seemed to be thinking the same thing as they both followed after them to the holding cell.

If Scott was aware of their presence as they peaked around the doorframe, he made no notice of it as he and Liam addressed Jiang and Tierney who were sitting inside the cell with their hands joined.

"Show him your eyes," Liam demanded.

"We never said we were innocent," Tierney said, still looking at the floor.

"Show me," Scott asked softly and when he received no response, he grabbed the bars and he let out a roar. "SHOW ME!" he growled, Theo flinching from the power of the alpha. He may not have been a real wolf but part of him was and that part knew to bow to an alpha's roar.

And they watched as both Jiang and Tierney's eyes flashed blue and Angie could smell the betrayal radiating off Scott. "Go," Angie urged as she pushed Theo back the way they came. "Go!"

"How could the hunters they killed have been innocent?" he asked as they went.

"Maybe not all of them were killers. Even still Jiang and Tierney were from Satomi's pack, violence would've been a last resort for them. If they saw their alpha murdered, that would be more than enough encouragement for them to fight back regardless of who killed who."

"So what do we do?" Theo asked worriedly.

"I have no idea but we're running out of time. At this point, it's either give them up or fight our way out but while I'd love to pursue the latter option, it would also mean exposing ourselves to an entire station full of deputies. And I'd like to keep my job and my life."

"So again, what do we do?" he repeated as they returned to the bullpen and Angie began tapping her foot on the ground as she thought it over.

"Ok, I'm going to check on Nolan, maybe have a crack at getting some information out of him. Right now, I'm going to need you to tell Scott everything you know about the hunters that kidnapped you."

"I don't know much. I only really dealt with that guy Shrader from Eichen. They kept me knocked out the rest of the time," he pointed out.

"Still, it could help," she argued and he nodded.

"You got it."

And she had to admit, she was a little proud of him for being such a team player even if the team didn't necessarily like him right now.