Chapter 92

Meanwhile, Chloe and Eli had made it to the auto shop in Derek's car. There had been a fight about who was going to drive but Chloe won because she wasn't letting him drive with a twisted ankle.

It was pouring as Chloe switched off the car and jumped out, running to the passenger side to help Eli get out of the car. Under different circumstances, she'd be swooning at their close contact but now was not the time for that. She leaned Eli against the car as she pushed the hair from his face.

"How you doing?" she asked over the crash of thunder and falling of rain.

"Been better," he admitted.

"I'm just gonna fill up the car so we can leave when our parents get here," she said, and he nodded as she grabbed the nozzle and opened the little hatch where the pipe to the gas tank was. But then came a car.

"Is that..." Eli began.

"That's not mom or Uncle Derek," Chloe answered as she saw the driver through the rain that beat down on the windscreen. "MOVE!"

And the two teens clung to each other as Chloe dropped the pump and they went for the door to the auto shop, almost falling over as Eli put most of his weight on her. "Keys!" she screamed.

"I got them!" Eli said as he reached into his pocket, trying to search through the ones on his father's key ring.

"Hurry up!" Chloe urged as the door to the car that crashed into Derek's and rendered it useless, opened.

"You're not making this any easier," Eli said as he finally found the right key, the door opening with ease as he shoved Chloe inside first and closed and locked it behind them as the two cars burst into flames. And through the glass door, they watched Allison come towards them, nothing but determination and rage in her gaze. "Let's go!" Eli urged, his arm around Chloe again as they limped into the workshop.

Chloe tried to keep him moving, but eventually, Eli's leg gave out as they leaned against the back of a car listening to Allison notching her bow.

"We can't stay here," she whispered so softly Eli was lucky to catch it as he watched her peer under a car and see booted feet coming towards them. Chloe then followed him as they reached the rig where the Jeep was suspended in the air - Derek had been meaning to check the undercarriage after the last time Eli stole it. 

Allison walked straight past them. Eli had his body hugged to the door, well above eye line as Chloe lay flat on her stomach on the top of the car.

She was leaving. Allison was turning to leave. They would've been safe - but Eli being Eli, had to do something stupid. Why did she like him again?

He climbed down fist and before Chloe could stop him, he took a wrench and ran at Allison.

To be fair though, considering that this was the second time that Allison tried to directly kill Derek and she almost succeeded, it was a pretty brave move on Eli's part.

But with his ankle, it didn't take long before Eli was knocked down and Allison drew her bow. And Chloe roared at her.

Eli had never seen his best friend shift before, her eyes like molten lava and her claws and fangs longer than a normal wolf's. And seeing her like that...it didn't scare him. She was still just Chloe to him.

Chloe dodged the first arrow and the second and then she knocked the third arrow out of Allison's hands as she struck at the huntress.

But where Chloe had never actually fought with someone deliberately trying to hurt her, Allison had and she was merciless against the teenager, eventually kicking her in the chest and knocking her to the ground next to Eli.