Chapter 77

The glass crunched under his polished shoes as he made his way through the McCall household. Glass windows, splintered wood, fractured vases. Safe to say Scott's house was a mess. His blue eyes still scanned over the wreckage before someone threw themselves at him and they hugged him. He was startled at first before he realised who it was, and he hugged them back.

"Thanks for coming Duke," Angie said as she pulled away, the older alpha still with a hand on her back.

"Who am I to deny a call of assistance? Especially if it's from you, but, you do know my fighting days are over, right?" Deucalion replied as he looked from Angie to where Scott and Malia stood behind her.

After her father called for backup and an ambulance, they were lucky to escape with their lives. Jordan had been able to burn both the wolfsbane and the bullets out of him with his hellfire, completely healing both him and Angie, but Melissa had the worst damage along with Rafael who was transferred to San Francisco Memorial Hospital and were both predicted to be fine. Lydia, Mason and Chris were still in the hospital but also shared the same prognosis. And while her father worked on figuring out who did it even though they knew who it was and that it would amount to nothing, Scott needed Angie's help. She was a little reluctant to give it considering neither he nor Malia had spoken to Stiles about the fact that they were dating yet, but considering what just happened and what Scott needed exactly, she was happy to do it. After seeing his mother in a hospital bed, Scott was ready to fight but he wasn't ready to kill. So, his remedy was to call in help from anyone he knew who was willing to get their hands a little dirty. Just as Angie had predicted.

"That's hard to believe," Scott retorted. "You once said that you'd kill any living thing that got in your way."

"I've said a lot of things," Deucalion replied as he continued to walk through the house with Angie on his arm. "But, eventually the bodies pile up so high, that even a blind man can't ignore them."

"It only took you, how long, before you could finally see them?" Angie taunted playfully, the demon alpha simply shaking his head at her with an affectionate grin.

"So what? You moved into a cave and took a vow of uselessness?" Malia questioned.

"I changed," Deucalion answered calmly. "We should all try it. And I live in a condo."

"I liked the old Deucalion better," Malia replied and Angie furrowed her brows.

"First of all, I disagree. And second, you didn't even meet the old Deucalion. You were still a coyote."

"I heard stories," she defended as Deucalion tapped the hand that Angie had around his arm.

"Maybe you've changed, but Gerard hasn't," Scott continued. "And he's not gonna stop with Beacon Hills. He's got a map with places circled, Toulouse, Brasilia -"

"Logashkino, Zhengzhou, Nemetons of the world," Deucalion finished in intrigue.

"He wants genocide, and he already knows how he's going to get it," Angie said bitterly, wanting Jordan who'd stupidly decided to go back to work as Theo returned to Angie's apartment to hide out with Liam.

"You know him, you can outthink him, you can read him," Scott persisted.

"You've beaten him before," Deucalion pointed out.

"He's got a lot of help now. Actually, he's got pretty much everyone."

"You think Gerard's turned you into a pariah? Your power does that. You'll always be an outsider because of your abilities. Gerard wasn't the first person to capitalize on the general public's fear of and he won't be the last," Deucalion advised.