Chapter 46

In a completely desperate move, Scott and Liam had turned to Theo for help finding Mason. Because when they cornered him last night after finding the shoes that left the bloody prints in the hospital, Corey had disappeared with him. And then Corey had turned up at Scott's house that morning telling them that the Dread Doctors took Mason, which led to them asking Theo for help which then led them to this wooden shack in the woods that led to an underground bunker where the Dread Doctors were holding Mason.

Mason who was finally able to transform without the Dread Doctors' help, and as such, lost his identity entirely as he shifted.

The Beast then tore the head of one of the Dread Doctors before slicing through Theo's stomach.

"Success," muttered the last Doctor known as the Surgeon.

And La Bete only thrust its claws into the Dread Doctor's abdomen and dragged the body outside.

Scott and Liam ran to follow the creature who threw the pseudo-scientist onto the ground, but before it could strike a killing blow, a familiar roar sounded through the air that suddenly grew very hot as a fiery figure launched itself at the Beast.

Jordan was on fire as he punched the creature, Angie leaping off the ground and onto his shoulders before unleashing herself on the Beast as she kicked its face and dropped into a roll behind it.

Then came the gunshots.

Chris Argent was behind the gun that fired wolfsbane bullets, his father behind him as Chris pumped shell after shell into the creature.

A creature that was forced to detransform at the end of the very same bridge where it all started - the bridge where Theo's sister died and the bridge where the Dread Doctors turned him into a Chimera. But standing at the end of the bridge wasn't Mason.

"La Bete du Gevaudan!" Gerard called as the now solid human rose to his feet. "I know your name. Do you remember mine?"

The man turned over his shoulder, a murderous glare on his face as he answered the question with a French accent.

"Argent."

And he went running through the night.

Angie and Jordan met each other's eyes before they gave chase, the air becoming cold once more as the heat of Jordan's fire and the fire of their connection disappeared with them.

"Who the hell was that?" Scott wondered in shock.

"You've seen the Beast of Gevaudan, that was the Man," Gerard explained.

"Sebastian Valet," Chris added.

Oh, this wasn't good.

******************************************************************

"We lost him," Jordan explained as he crouched on the ground, Angie standing as she panted and the Argents pulled up behind them and out of the car.

"Sebastian's going to know we have the pike and if he doesn't, he's going to figure it out soon enough," Chris pointed out as they'd taken the pike from the Dread Doctors last night.

"Then what do we do?" Jordan asked as Chris handed Angie a bottle of water that she chugged.

"We stop chasing him and make him come to us," Gerard announced as he held the cane in his hands and Angie sighed.

"Oh, not the emitters," she whined. "Why does every plan involving you, involve the emitters? And don't be a smartass and answer the question you know is rhetorical," she said to the only Argent she actually considered a friend.

He smirked at her as he held out a protein bar that she took a bite out of.

"Then find him so we don't have to use them," he retorted, and she scowled at him before Jordan burst into flames again, and she swallowed before the two took off running. 

******************************************************************

Angie had deduced that the Beast had shifted back into Sebastian, which is why they lost his scent. It was like Peter when he was the alpha. And then she'd heard Lydia scream.

And it came from the direction of the Sheriff's station, a location she'd always be able to know even from down deep in the tunnels as she rested her head on Jordan's shoulder, trying to ignore the sound of the many emitters they were using to corral Sebastian while she read her texts.

"He was at the station," she confirmed as Chris came around the corner. "Dad's fine but Lydia was hurt. Badly."

"Is she ok?" Jordan asked worriedly.

"It doesn't change anything," Chris intervened.

"But what if she's dying? Mischief said she was the key to saving Mason," Angie argued.

"If we don't stop Sebastian, she will die. He's not just coming for the pike, he's coming for anything that stands in his way. Right now, that's all of us, especially you two," he pointed out and Angie sighed before they heard the echo of the Beast's roar through the tunnels.

"What are you doing?" Jordan asked worriedly as Chris set down his shotgun.

"You've both saved my life before. Now I'm going to save yours," he began.

"Chris-"

"I'm not sure I'm getting the strategy here," Jordan interrupted.

"You are the strategy," Chris replied. "Both of you. Parrish, you're the one in the fresco. Put there as a reminder that the beast isn't unstoppable."

The Beast roared again.

"Whoever painted it, they didn't see a guy with a gun facing down the Beast. They saw you. They saw a Hellhound. But what they didn't count on was your mate," he continued as his eyes landed on Angie. "You aren't just his other half, you're his equal. You make each other stronger and you make the chance of defeating the Beast stronger."

Jordan reached for her hand and squeezed it as she looked up at him, her body sore and exhausted despite the fact that her wounds had healed. 

She sighed as she faced Chris. "That was one of your better pep talks," she said with a weak smiled and they faced the dark tunnel, their hands still linked as their eyes glowed and Jordan burst into flames.

And into battle, they ran.