Chapter 37

Despite her father being in the hospital still, he needed his two children to get back to their lives and stop worrying about him, or at least one of them. So in an attempt to get his daughter to stop worrying about him, he actually asked Parrish to take her out into the field with him to investigate the attack of a communications technician. An attack that Valarie had no answers for.

"I thought you and Scott were on good terms now?" Jordan questioned as they waited for said alpha to arrive.

"Jordan, he believed my brother murdered someone in cold blood. He hurt Stiles. I don't even know if Stiles has forgiven him, but saving my dad doesn't earn him any points with me since him trusting Theo is what endangered my father in the first place."

"Look," he sighed as he held her biceps. "I'm sorry for contacting Scott without telling you, but can you please try and be civil for a little bit? Because if what we found is real, then we are in very big trouble and we're going to need all the help we can get."

"Fine," she huffed with a pout that he kissed, and the corners of her lips turned upwards slightly as the hum of Scott's motorcycle grew louder as he approached.

"You said it was urgent. What did you want to show me?" he asked as he took off his helmet and Jordan pulled out his phone.

"This is from the relay station's security camera," he explained as he handed it to Scott to watch.

"That looked big," he gasped as he watched what looked like a beast made of shadows run out of the station.

"And too fast for anyone to get a good look at it," Angie piped up, Scott unable to read her emotions as she masked her scent from him, but he could tell that she still wasn't happy with him.

"But you already know what it is, don't you?" Jordan asked.

"The last chimera," Scott answered as he looked at the dark entrance of the relay station, the entrance that they walked through as they showed Scott the inside.

"Look at this," Angie instructed as she knelt by the blood pool left by the technician and shone the black light onto the floor as Scott knelt by her, Angie nothing more than professional as Scott observed the black smoke-like traces. "Mercury means chimera. I'm thinking the Dread Doctors finally had a success."

She stood as he did, handing Jordan his black light back. "But what was it doing here? Why come here and kill some random communications tech?" Jordan wondered.

"Maybe it just likes to kill. Maybe that's what it does," Scott suggested.

"That's terrifying," Jordan admitted as he stuck a little closer to Angie.

"Parrish, how many bodies do you actually see when you dream about the Nemeton?" Scott asked and Angie reached for Jordan's hand as he looked down at a sheet of scrap metal that had bloody claw marks on it.

"Everyone," he answered grimly.

Angie only squeezed his hand in support.

"Then I guess we better find that last chimera."

******************************************************************

"You guys scared the life outta me," Angie huffed as she walked into the morgue, having followed their scents down there. "What the hell are you doing down here?"

Noah only leaned on his cane as he reached out to her, Angie not hesitating to come over to him and place her cheek in his palm, nothing but pride shining inside of him for his oldest daughter and how she'd taken care of her brother through the whole Donovan mess. And for pointing out how important it was for him to learn to bend the rules.