Chapter 32

"I need to call it in. I need to turn myself in," Jordan rambled as he walked, Angie jogging to catch up to him.

"Jordan, that's not a good idea."

"Ange, you just proved to me that I'm the one taking the bodies. I've attacked other law enforcement officers. I hurt your brother. That's a criminal offence. I shouldn't even be near you."

Angie grabbed his arm as she forced him to stop walking away from her.

"I know you would never hurt me. I am not afraid of you, Jordan," she said almost defiantly.

"But I'm afraid of me."

"Look, whatever the other half of you is, it only seems to come out when there's a body. Other than that you are still the man I love. And you are a good deputy," she reasoned before he finally took his arm back from her grip.

"I'm a very good deputy and I'd like to stay that way. Flipping over jeeps and attacking colleagues doesn't exactly fit with 'protect and serve'. I'm covering up the bodies of murdered teenagers," he retorted and her eyes seemed to widen as she realised something.

"No. no, you're not," she said as a smile began to grow on her face.

"I'm sorry, shall we go back to the magic tree stump and count them?" Jordan sassed as she rolled her eyes.

"This entire time my dad's had you on desk duty I've been telling him that you were a protector. I was right. Jordan, you're not covering up murders. You're covering up the supernatural. You were protecting it."

"What's the difference?" he sighed tiredly, the fear rolling off him in waves.

"Jordan, it's the same thing we asked my dad to do with Tracy and the body Melissa found. Maybe that's part of what you do. An alpha protects their pack, maybe the supernatural is the pack that you protect. There must be a reason why you saved me from that fire."

"I'm a deputy!" he exclaimed.

"But you're not just a deputy," Angie fired back as she cupped his face, their eyes meeting intensely. "And you know you're not one of the bad guys."

Jordan only held her wrists gently before pulling them away from his face, a guilty and pained expression in his eyes. "I never told you how my dream ended," he pointed out, at which point her heart began to sink in her chest. "Every time I carry a body to the Nemeton, I put it down and...add to the ones that are already there."

"Jordan, how many?" Angie asked gravely as her hair blew with the wind.

"Hundreds, Angie. Hundreds of them. And that's not even the worst part."

"Of course, it gets worse," she chuckled humourlessly. "What happens?"

"In the dream, the body I put down is the last one. And at first, I could never see their face but it became clearer around six months ago, right around the time I met you actually."

"It's me, isn't it?" she asked. "I'm the last body you bring to the Nemeton."

Jordan's expression was completely guilty, like he was ashamed of himself and blamed himself as he stared down at the ground. "You said I'm a protector, that I protected you, but in my dream.....I failed. I couldn't protect you. And you just showed me that part of my dream came true, and I really don't want the rest of it to be. I don't want to lose you," he said earnestly as he brushed her cheekbone with his thumb.

"And you won't. But turning yourself in won't solve anything for anyone."

She searched his eyes for some sign that he understood what she was saying and he did, he just didn't agree with it.

"But it's the right thing to do."

******************************************************************

The drive back to the station was silent before Jordan promptly left his key card, gun and badge on her father's desk before going to do something completely stupid as he left her in the office. Angie was gripping her hair like a mad woman as her leg bounced anxiously before her father came in.

"Hey, what on earth is Par- are you alright, sweetheart?" he asked and Angie only stood as she walked towards his desk and picked up a pen before stabbing it through her hand. She grimaced slightly as her father hastily shut the door and approached her as he yanked it out and tried to stop the bleeding with some tissues until her healing kicked in.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked as she took heavy breaths to calm herself down.

"Pain makes me human. And all this stuff with Stiles and the Dread Doctors and Jordan is stressing me out. Not to mention that a supermoon is coming up. It helps keep me in control," she explained as her father wiped away the blood on her hand to reveal clean skin from the healed wound.

"Speaking of Parrish, what exactly does he think he's doing?" Noah questioned as Angie only sighed.

"Protecting us," she answered.

"From who?"

"Himself. Dad, he's the one taking the bodies, but he's not a bad person! He's doing it to protect us. To protect the supernatural. Whatever he is, he's a protector, he's not bad." She didn't give her father a chance to respond before she marched out of the room and towards the holding cell that Jordan had locked himself inside. "You flipped over a 2-ton car. These measly little bars won't be able to hold you when the other part of you takes over," she pointed out as she strutted into the room, Jordan jumping to his feet as he rubbed his hand.

"Are you ok? I felt-"

"A pen being stabbed through your hand. I healed," she explained as she held up her unscarred hand. "Jordan, come on. This is ridiculous and it isn't going to solve anything!" she exclaimed before her father came charging in, going to swipe his key card.

"No! Don't!" Jordan cried out as Noah froze. "I get why you sat me at a desk for six months now."

"Parrish, we can't keep you in here," Noah said.

"There's another body right?" he asked, dejectedly, aware of how he could feel it.

"Actually there's two," Angie supplied, both her and her father surprised at his question considering that they'd just been discovered.

Jordan sighed heavily as he rubbed his face with his hands.

"I, I don't know why I'm taking them and I sure as hell don't remember it but if it really was me at the morgue, then I'm dangerous," he insisted.

"Only to those that stand in the way of you doing your job," Angie tried to justify but Jordan wasn't persuaded.

"You can't let me out. either one of you. You just can't."

Her father put away his key card and Angie was about to lose it before they were both saved by the ringing of her phone.

But all temptation of letting it go to voicemail faded when she saw who it was.

"Mischief? What's wrong?"

Things just kept getting worse.