chapter 1

Derek's pov:
It's a cold day. Its winter so of course its cold, but especially today. Today was the day of my dad's funeral. My dad and I have always been close.

My dad was a hugely known businessman. We have a very wealthy family, and today all that wealth got passed on to me.

He was only 62. I'm 27 and now I have to look after his business and my family. He left me this responsibility and I won't let him down.

My dad died of a heart attack two weeks ago. My mom is In pieces. Right now, we're at a bar having drinks with some family members and friends.

The bell rings as someone walks in. I turn around. My eyes immediately are glued to this girl. Who is that?

She's blonde, about 5'6, her eyes are a greeny blue colour and she has the most gorgeous features. She's wearing a thigh length white dress with black tights that are basically see through anyway with stilettos.

I see the security guard walk over to her. I get up. "I'm sorry, I didn't know this place was closed today" she says. Her voice is amazing. It pulls you in, like a melody.

"Yeah, there's a funera-" the security guard says. "Its okay, she can stay" I say. "I'm sorry sir-" the guy says. "Derek shepherd" I say. "My apologies" he walks away.

She makes eye contact with me. "I'm sorry for interrupting.. I'll go" she says. "No, please.. stay for a drink" I say. "You don't don't know who I am.. why do you want me to stay?" She chuckles.

"I could use some cheering up.. and I'm sure a beautiful woman like you knows just how to do that" I say. She giggles. "Why should I?" She asks.

"Because this is my dad's after funeral get together" I say. Her face drops. "Oh, I'm so sorry" she says. "Its okay" I smile small.

"Um.. I'm meredith, by the way" she holds her hand out. "Meredith" I shake her hand. They're soft, like clouds. I wonder what the rest of her body feels like.

"I'm derek" I say. "I heard" she chuckles. I smile. "Can I get you a drink?" I ask. "I need to go" she says. "Are you sure?" I ask. "I'm not exactly dressed for a funeral" she looks down at her white dress. I chuckle softly.

"It was nice meeting you though derek, I'm very sorry for your loss" she says. "Bye meredith" I say. She smiles before leaving.

I sigh, going back to the bar. I drink the rest of my drink quickly. I walk over to my mom. "Come on mom, I'll drive you home" I put my hand on her arm. "Derek, my boy" she smiles as she sees me. She's a bit drunk.

She hugs me. "Oh, careful" I say as she stumbles. I hold onto her and take her outside. My sisters follow. I help her into the car and my sisters get in too. We drive to my family home.

"Derek, please stay" my youngest sister, amelia cries quietly into my shoulder, hugging me. She's only 16. She's my favourite sister.

"Amy-" I say. "Please" she says. "I can't stay here" I say, thinking about my dog that I left home alone. She sniffles. "You can come with me.. grab your things" I say. She goes upstairs to grab her stuff.

She comes downstairs with our maid, who is holding two massive bags. I take them. "Thankyou" I say. She smiles before walking away. I take them outside and put them in the car. We get in and I drive us to my apartment.

"Just tell me if you need anything.. I'll be in the living room, okay?" I tuck her in. She nods. "Night ames" I say. "Night" she says. I go to the living room.

I sigh, sitting on the couch. I turn on the TV and my dog jumps next to me on the couch. I pet him.

He's the best dog. I've had him for 9 years. I bought him when I moved into my own apartment, when I was 18. His name is arlo.

The dog:

I take a sip of my whiskey

I take a sip of my whiskey. I sigh, leaning my head back off of the back of the couch. I get up and go to my safe. I pull out a letter and read it.

To derek,
If you are reading this then I am dead. I'm so sorry for leaving you alone to look after the family. It is a huge responsibility but I believe you can do it. Every bit of money I own has been transfered to you. I know you know what to do. I've taught you this your whole life.
I love you, son,
From Dad

A few tears run down my cheeks. I wipe them and put the letter back in the safe. I go back into the living room and lay on the couch. I pull a blanket over me and close my eyes.

"Here boy" I pat the space next to me. Arlo jumps next to me. I smile, patting him. He licks my face. I soon drift off.