chapter 35

Me and meredith are on the couch in the hotel room, cuddled up together in our pyjamas, under a blanket as we watch a movie.

"Are you okay?" She asks for about the fiftieth time today. "I'm fine, baby.. please stop asking" I sigh. Just because its fathers day and my dad's dead, doesn't mean I'm gonna break down. I'm strong.

"I love you" she says. "I love you too" I say. She rests her head on my chest. Her phone rings. She sits up and grabs it.

"I'll be right back, okay?" She kisses me softly before getting up and walking away. "Hi daddy, did you get the gift i sent you?" I hear her say as she leaves the hotel room. I sigh.

I turn off the tv and get up. She comes back in a few minutes later. "What are you doing?" She asks as she sees I'm putting on my shoes. "Can we go for a walk?" I ask.

"Y-yeah" she grabs her heels. "Wear your flats, sweetheart" I say. "In this dress? No way" she chuckles. "Whatever" I sigh. She holds my hand. I grab my phone. We leave. 

Merediths pov:
"Is it good?" I ask as I feed him some fries from a small food stand we stopped at on the street. He nods.

"Can I have a bottle of water aswell please?" I turn to the guy in the stand. He passes me one. I pay for it.

I turn back around and see that derek is zoned out. I follow his eyes. I sigh quietly as I see he's looking at a dad with his little boy in the window of a cafe across the street.

"Baby" I put my hand on his back. He looks at me. He obviously doesn't want to talk to me about it. It's okay, I'll respect it. He blinks away the tears in his eyes. I pretend not to notice.

"You ready?" I ask. He nods. I hold his hand. He follows me down the street. We eat the food as we walk.

"Mer, maybe we should've gone back home.. so you could spend the day with your dad" he says. "Daddy's working today" I say. "Oh" he says.

"I called him, its okay" I say. "You should spend as much time with him as you can" he says. "Derek, we can still go home if you need to see your mom or sisters or-" I say. "I don't" he cuts me off.

"I'm fine, meredith" he says. "What do you want to do?" I ask. "I'm bored of walking, let's go back to the hotel" he says. "Oh, okay" I say. We go back.

----------

We got back to the hotel and we got into bed. We had sex. It wasn't good. It was slow and sad and I regret it, even though he basically begged me for it. Then I fell asleep.

----------

I open my eyes slowly. I look up as I realise derek isn't laid next to me. He's sat up, scrolling on his phone.

"Derek" I sit up slowly. He's looking at pictures of him and his dad. "Its okay" I whisper, hugging him. He pushes his face into the crease of my neck. He cries quietly into my shoulder, hugging me tightly.

He cries for about twenty minutes. I just hug him, stroke his hair and scratch his back in silence, trying to comfort him as much as I can.

He lays between my legs on his stomach. I stay sat up. "I miss him so much" he whispers. "I know" I kiss his head.

"He was the best dad in the world" be says. "You wanna tell me about him?" I whisper. He nods.

"He used to take me on camping trips, and we'd go fishing, he'd teach me every single thing I know about how to pick up a girl" he chuckles at the last part. I smile. He sniffles.

"Can I show you pictures?" He sits up. "Of course you can baby" I whisper tearfully, kissing his cheek. He sits next to me instead and wraps his arm around my waist, resting his head on my shoulder.

He scrolls through the pictures on his phone, stopping to explain every one. "He was very handsome" I say. He nods.

"Oh, derek you were so cute" I chuckle as I look at the baby pictures of him. He smiles. He still has tears running down his cheeks.

"This is your fault, you make me feel all vulnerable" he wipes his tears. "That's a good thing" I smile. 

"Do you trust me?" I ask. "You make me feel.." he thinks for a few seconds. "Safe" he whispers. "I do?" I look at him. "Yeah" he looks down nervously.

"You make me feel safe too" I say. "Obviously.. I'm big and muscly, you're small and fragile, my safe is stupid.. yours is valid" he says.

"Hey, I would beat anyone's ass if they tried to hurt you" I grin. "Would you?" He chuckles. I nod. "You're my guy, nobody is touching you" I hug his neck. "Thank you" he kisses me softly. "You're welcome" I giggle.

I flex my muscles. "Mer! Where'd they come from?" He teases, squeezing my skinny arm. I giggle. "Shut up" I grin. He smiles.

I kiss him. "Thank you meredith" he whispers. "For what?" I ask. "Letting me talk to you.. and cry" he chuckles awkwardly. "You can talk to me about anything, sweetheart" I say.

"Anything?" He pulls me onto his lap. I straddle his thighs. "Anything in the whole wide world" I whisper.

"Can we talk about how terrible that sex was earlier" he says. We both burst out laughing. "I know, I'm so sorry" I giggle. "I'm sorry, I've never had such depressing sex in my life" he says.

"I was just so worried about you, I couldn't concentrate" I say. "I was sad" he chuckles softly. "Can I make it up to you?" He asks. "Now?" I ask. He nods. I kiss him. He lays me down and climbs ontop of me.