7

I wake in my bed. In my bed in my house. I try to recall how I got here, but the last thing I remember is Klaus telling me to invite him in. I look around and find Kol sitting in my old rocking chair, the one my mother used to sit in whenever she would read and tell me stories.

"About time you're awake." He mutters, shaking his head. I try to speak, but nothing comes out. I just cough, more blood coming from my lungs. 

"She's coughing up blood again!" Kol calls toward my bedroom door, where Klaus appears moments later.

"I'm fine." I manage to croak out between coughs. 

"Yeah, you're coughing up blood and you're perfectly fine." Kol says sarcastically. 

"What happened to Kaden?" I ask quietly. 

"You're worried about what happened to that idiot?" Kol questions, almost taken aback. Knowing there was nothing he could do, Klaus leaves the room. 

"He's my boyfriend, of course I'm worried about him." I reply.

"He was your boyfriend. Now he's having some fun wherever dead humans go. We thought he had killed you because we were no longer held back by the threshold once you passed out. Why is that?" He says, not looking at me, but rather watching the ceiling. 

"This house now belongs to the city. After my parents died, the city took it but allows me to live here since I have good connections, but that means no one person owns it. I always have a subconscious barrier up, but when I'm unconscious, it falls." I answer, also now watching the ceiling. 

"You know, I'd give anything to be a Witch again. I miss the power I held when I was a Witch. I was the only one of my siblings, besides Freya of course, to tap into my magic. It was so empowering, magic. I'd do anything to feel the rush of it again." Kol says, sighing. I don't reply, and we just sit in a comfortable silence. 

"When you were a Witch, how much magic did you learn before becoming a Vampire?" I inquire, for some reason curious.

"My mother didn't teach me much, so I only learned a few simple spells. Nothing serious. But I've studied all types of Witchcraft. I even spent time in Arabia learning about a type of magic called Kemiya. It was truly fascinating." He gushes, and I can hear the smile on his face. 

"You might have to teach me those forms of Witchcraft one day. You know what, come here. I want to see if you recognize any of these spells." I tell him as I stand, though wobbly, and make my way to my bookshelf, which is filled with over a hundred Grimoires.

"These are all yours?" Kol asks in amazement, running his hand along the spines. 

"Yep, all passed down to me from my mother and fathers sides." I reply. I grab one of my oldest ones, as well as the one I started around the age of eleven. I had tweaked some simple spells, such as the Fire Spell. I tweaked it to turn different colors. 

"Is this a Grimoire you've written in?" He asks as he flips through it, seeing only about ten pages were filled, all of them being simple tweaked spells. 

"Yep. I can change the color of a flame. Watch this. Viridis ignis." I recite the incantation for my Green Flame Spell, and it lights a candle with a green flame. 

"Wow. I bet you can't do a rainbow flame." Kol challenges. I raise an eyebrow. I had done this before, but I decide to make it fun. 

"I bet ten bucks I can." I say with a smirk. 

"You're on." He replies. I look at the same candle. 

"Iris ignis." I murmur, which turns the flame rainbow. He nods and pulls a ten dollar bill from his wallet, handing it to me.