Flight Back

You still keep a calendar on the wall and still cross off the days in thick marker. Even though there is something very comforting about texts only discovered in the morning turning into phone calls after work, and video when he can manage. Finally after more weeks and months than you care to think about you share a timezone. On a morning with little to do you find that time has slowed down a lot lately.

You're just about to get dressed and force yourself to be an actual adult for once and when your phone goes off. It's the snippet of a song you've assigned to Henry. With it still on the charger you rushed fast back to your bed and accept the call as you sit. "Hey."

"Hey! I'm almost home!" Henry exclaims cheerfully.

"How long until your flight?" you ask moving to settle against your pillows.

"Not long." A voice you recognize as Henry says something beside him. "it says half an hour"It answers your next question for you.

"Have you slept well?"

Henry
'A pout is audible. "I can't sleep."

"When you get home we should take a nap. I can't sleep without you either." Sure, you've gotten a little used to it over the months but it doesn't make anything easier.

He nods In approval. "That sounds nice. What else will we do?"

You go into detail about all the little domestic things you missed bout eating in, about watching movies and Tv shows and everything else in between until you both fall asleep.

Henry really seems most excited about the latter, to no one's surprise. You swear you can hear his eyes light up in the little sounds he makes, the ones to show you he's paying attention.

With all this to look forward to Henry pouts again. You would swear he's a child if you didn't know better. "Ah now I can't wait. You treat me too well."

"Only one more flight. You can wait that long, right?"

"You make it sound like you don't miss me." Underneath the sadness and his tone is joking. Still you take mild offense to it.

"I do miss you! I crossed off the day on my calendar and everything."

"Okay okay I believe you really this time" Henry says relenting. After a moment he huffs with disappointment. "My phone's going to die soon. I'll call you when I finally get in."

You exhale a deep sigh. "Okay. See you soon."

"See you soon" Henry replies punctuating it with a kissing noise before the call ends.

With your heart heavy you definitely don't want to be a responsible adult. Nevertheless you pick yourself up off the bed to start your day. Time will only keep crawling if you don't.