550 - Escaped From Bear-san.

I ran in the lead, and Swaying Bear followed.

The hideout was hidden in a troublesome place. The footing was poor, and trees and grass were in the way, making it difficult to advance stealthily. That was why they hid in such a place. It would have been quite a hassle if it weren’t for my detection skills.

I proceed in the direction the watchman pointed me, and immediately my detection skills respond to people.

It seems he wasn’t lying. But there was only one response.

I hurried to the place where the reaction was coming from. And when I arrived at the place where the reaction occurred, I found an old hut. Inside the old hut, there was one response.

Then, as I moved towards the hut, there were momentary multiple human responses just inside the detection range, but as soon as I stopped in front of the hut, the responses disappeared outside the detection range.

They totally got away.

I can’t ignore the response inside the hut and chase after them, so I’ll ignore the ones outside my detection skills.

But why is there only one person left in the hut?

Could it be that a person was taken hostage and left behind?

Or that one of them sacrificed himself to stay behind to let his friends escape? Like, “I’ll buy you time, so get away from here”, or something?

It’s impossible in my former world, but it’s possible enough in this world.

Mumroot-san said something similar to me. That being the case, it was conceivable that they could attack us the moment we entered the hut.

So, what do we do now?

Should I call out to them? Or slowly walk in and capture them?

Sponsored Content
After thinking about it for a while, I decided to call out to them.

If they come out, I’ll just catch them. And if they don’t, I’ll just carefully go inside.

“I am an adventurer, you can’t escape now, so come on out.” (Yuna)

I waited for a response.

But no response came out of the hut.

Time was running out. There was a possibility that the hostages might not be able to move because their mouths were sealed shut.

I slowly approached the hut and cautiously opened the door. But there was no response. No sudden attack.

I looked through the door gap and saw a man tied up.

A hostage!?

I asked Swaying Bear to watch outside, enter the hut, and approach the bound man.

This is…

There was a piece of paper on the body of the bound man. The paper said, “At the direction of this man and a merchant named Redent, who have taken the goods. The cotton we took the other day was left behind. The rest, I gave to Redent. I’ll have you know we don’t have anything even if you chase us”.

In other words, his fellow bandits tied up the main suspect, and they escaped.

I took off the cloth covering the man’s mouth.

“……A bear?” (Man)

Sponsored Content
I thrust the paper at the man’s mouth.

“Is this true?” (Yuna)

“Th, that’s a lie. They turned me into a culprit and ran away. Catch the escapees.” (Man)

Even though I was told to catch him, they had already escaped. I might be able to catch one, though. It’ll be too far of a detour. In the first place, I couldn’t believe what this man said.