Chapter 3: Where I've Been

Storm's POV:

"Storm! Brooklyn! This way!" Mom cries. Me and Brooklyn stop running and turn around to see Mom pointing at the car. We quickly ran towards it.

Mom quickly unlocked the doors so we could climb in. Mom put the stuff away, got in, and drove away. "Sorry Mommy," Brooklyn and I say, simultaneously.

"It's okay girls. Just be careful," Mom replies.

"I thought I could catch the pickle jar," I say, softly. I looked down at my hands. Mom smiled. Me and Brooklyn were playing catch in Walmart while getting groceries.

We played catch while Mama shopped. Then she tossed a pickle jar at me and I accidentally dropped it. But Mom caught it before it hit the floor.

She gave us a look before putting the jar back on the shelves. Me and Brooklyn didn't play catch anymore after that. Now we were on our way home.

Mom pulled up to the driveway and parked. Me and Brooklyn got out and was about to help her load the groceries inside the house before she stopped us.

Mom entered the house before us and looked around. "What's wrong Mom?" Brooklyn questions. Mom held a finger to her lips and looked around.

She searched the house for something. Me and Brooklyn looked at each other in confusion. Mom entered the room, now looking more relaxed.

"It's nothing girls. I thought I heard something. Maybe a bird had gotten into the house but I don't think that's possible," She says, calmly.

"I wanna bird for Christmas," I whine. Mom chuckled as she and kissed my forehead. She smiled at me as she cupped my cheek.

"Maybe next year," She says. We walked out to the car and finished loading up the groceries in the house. We stayed in the living room & watched Looney Tunes for a while.

It was pretty boring since we've already watched Looney Tunes so much. Suddenly, Mom sat up quickly and hurried us towards the door. "Mom! What's up?" Brooklyn asks.

"Nothing! I just decided that we should go to the movies. Sitting in the house watching the same stuff is boring. I want to excite you girls. Let's go watch a movie," She replies.

She grabbed our coats and pulled us out the door. I looked at Brooklyn. She had the same look I did. "Mama, are you feeling okay?" I ask, curiously.

"Yeah, you've been rushing us all day today," Brooklyn notes. Mom smiles and nodded silently.

"I'm fine girls. Just feeling a little wired tonight," She says. She pulled up to the cinema and parked. "So, what movie you girls wanna see? Nothing R rated!" She says, quickly.

"How about that new SpongeBob movie?" Brooklyn suggests. Mom grinned. She opened our doors and we ran inside. We ran up to the counter and waited in line.

"I want popcorn," Brooklyn says.

"I want M&Ms," I say.

"Girls don't worry. You'll both get—" Suddenly the air was filled with gunshots. People ran around screaming, running for cover.