Chapter 24: Go Deeper

Cyrus's POV:
⚠️18+ In This Chapter⚠️

I typed on my laptop before glancing over at Nyla, the girl me and Drew were supposed to be keeping an eye on. She was using crayons to color in a coloring book.

I looked over at Drew. He sulked as he wrote down his answers on his worksheet. He's been a sulking sad mess since Bailey left town. She left town for awhile and she doesn't know when she'll be back.

So now he's depressed about her. I wanna cheer him up but now that we're on babysitting duty, that's not possible. I typed the last paragraph of my science essay.

As I finished typing the last few sentences, I felt like I was being watched. I looked up to see Nyla staring at me. She saw me staring but didn't look away.

"What?" I ask, curiously. That caught Drew's attention. Nyla stood up and came over to me.

"Is that homework hard Cyrus?" She asks, curiously.

"Kind of. But I can handle it," I reply.

"Why don't you just give your teachers a coloring book instead? That'll make them happy," She squeals.

"That doesn't work when you get older, Nyla," I note. She continued to stand there. I started to become uncomfortable with her staring so I set my laptop down. "What do you want Nyla?" I ask, trying my hardest not to sound irritated.

She stared at me. The way her eyes pierced mine made me uneasy. It was like she was pleading with me for something. "I want my Daddy," She says, softly.

I looked at Drew. We both knew her Dad was dead so we can't do anything about that. "Nyla, why don't we go do something else?" Drew asks.

"Like what?" She asks.

"Want some ice cream?" He suggests.

"Okay! Can I see where you guys go to school at?" She asks.

"Can't. We can't go back to school yet," Drew replies. He picked her up and carried her out the door. We took Nyla to Drew's car and placed her in a car seat.

Some kids pulled a prank at school that went wrong and now we can't go back to school until further notice. We were currently staying Drew's house.

I must admit it was nice living on my own but awfully lonely. Drew's Mom visits from time to time but she doesn't stay long. Drew pulled up to a Dairy Queen.

We each ordered a sundae and went to the park. We sat in the park and watched Nyla play. I looked over at Drew. He was staring at a pic of him and Bailey.

"Dude, I get the fact that you're in love with Bailey but stop obsessing over her. She'll be back soon. Maybe this is good for you. Spend some time with me instead. We've barely spent any time together since we were promoted," I say.

He sighed deeply. "You're right. I just never felt this way about someone before. But maybe we should spend some time apart....is that Storm over there?" He says.

I looked up to see Storm talking to Brooklyn and some girl. I looked closer and gasped. "Dude that's GiGi!" I exclaim. Drew sat up.