Chapter 20: The Corpses

AFTER what happened that night, my brother kept an eye on me. With or without work in their headquarters, he's on guard.

But oftenly, we're in their headquarters that's  why I continued our training in firing and I'm improving, Caliber said. I realized all the words that Caliber had said, and now I'm satisfied with the outcome.

"You must learn how to sense on things that surrounds you..."

"I know how, I already did that a lot of times..."

"Then you must've known that someone was following you everyday..."

I raised my brows on him but he gave me a "you-didn't-get-me-look".

"What do you mean?"

"I thought your sensing your surrounding, so why you still didn't know?" He pissedly asked.

I remembered that man who attempted to shoot me.

"Someone was following and watching you everytime that you're here..."

It gave me goosebumps. Why didn't he told me that!

"I don't know if he's the same person you saw that night. Who knows? But if it is, then why until now nothing happened to you?"

I'm confused but fright envelops my being. It won't help, I must get rid of this fear. I looked at him and smiled.

"Death is just there. If it's my time then let it be, but before that, I'll make sure to fight until my last breath..."

He laughed so hard. I kicked his knee that made him groan and rubbed it because of pain.

"You're such a brat. Too far from your brother's attitude..."

"As if I care, duh?"

"But seriously, be careful. We don't know what will happen. But don't worry, you got our backs Athena Rei..."

I'm lucky but I don't want them to end like what happened to Samuel...

---

Night came, I'm preparing the snacks for us while my brother was in the living room.

I placed the foods above the rectangular glass table and sat on the single sofa.

He's currently watching news while checking his laptop. A muti-tasker.

"I'm checking the CCTVs around the house premises. Someone might intrude here..."

I stared at him. I can see how exhausted he is but still spend his time checking me even with his tired state.

I smiled. I stood and wrapped my arms around his neck from behind and hugged him.

"Thank you brother..." I whispered and buried my face on his hair.

He chuckled and gently stroke my hair.

"That's what elder brothers do, protect their little princess..."

I laughed and pinched his cheeks gently.

"I'm not little anymore, I'm a beautiful lady now..."

"Yeah, fine fine..." He said in retreat.

I immediately sat beside him and stare at the CCTV cameras.

"I received some news. Four unidentified people were found dead in our residence..."

I'm shocked at what my brother said.

"All their heads were destroyed by a gunshot. They were brutally killed and no one knows whos behind it..." He looked at me and patted my head.