Dan Heng - Stone wall

Laying around on your back you continued playing Honkai Impact 3rd on your phone while Dan Heng searched through records. He took off his azure coat and placed it over your shoulders to keep you warm. Though he said nothing, his compassion wasn't displayed through words alone. 

 Rolling over to him you placed your phone on your chest as you stared up at him. Huddled over his records he ignores you for a while before closing his scrolls. 

"You've been staring for a while." he states plainly, never one for many words, you'd grown accustomed to it. 

"Are you alright? Ever since we pulled up next to the Loufu you've been distant, more so than usual." You admit, turning around to sit up next to him as the two of you sat on his floor. 

"Dan Heng, part of being in a relationship is trust. I trust that you have your reasons for being so defensive. Though, I don't understand why you're being defensive from me?" You wanted Dan Heng to feel as if he could confide in you, that the struggles he faced were not fought alone. 

"It doesn't concern you." He answers, a chilling response to the genuine concern you voiced. 

Standing up from his bed you head towards the door, his body movement shifts as he becomes uneasy seeing you leave. Turning towards you, he stares with a look that displays that same guarded look, with eyes that practically beg to reveal to you, his soul. 

Closing your eyes, you open the door to his room, "Keep your secrets, and your walls. I'll give you all the space you need." You left, and with-it Dan Heng's peace of mind. 

---X---

It came time for you to depart for the Xianzhou Loufu, finally given permission to board the massive city-inhabited vessel. Your disappointment to Dan Heng's absence was not unnoticed by Welt who consoled you, "Dan Heng has his reasons for not attending this voyage, we must do our best to respect his wishes." You nodded in response. 

Taking one final look around, you accepted that Dan Heng would not be accompanying you. departing for the Loufu it was a marvelously empty city, with large cloud-breaking buildings that soared far above you all with beautiful Xianzhou architecture. Intricately carved wood with resin polish and a smooth stained marble pathway. 

Something in your mind pulled hints from Dan Heng's clothing, that this was most likely tied to his past. Apprehensively you wondered if the reason for his recent dismissals of you were linked to a brutal agony he'd been facing alone. Returning here would most certainly have caused him distress, and with that revelation you felt guilty. Having left on such a sour note, while disparaging against his seemingly distrustful nature, you wondered if it was simply him trying to protect you from a past that had hurt him so gravely. 

Taking out your phone you attempted to reach Dan Heng, 'I'm sorry for earlier. We just got onto the loading bay, are you ok?'

With no reply, you began to worry. It might have been a malicious attempt by Kafka to frame the Astral Express for a calamity brought about by the stellaron. It was within your power to try and keep Dan Heng and Himeko on the Express, but without communication the three of you had not choice but to press on. 

"I can't get through to Dan Heng or Himeko." You stated worried. 

"It could possibly be the Express jamming some of the communication systems." Mr.Welt inferenced, going on a long explanation of the radio emissions that were interfering with Xianzhou technology. 

"Or maybe it's Kafka." March spat, she'd been pretty bothered about Jarillo-IIV, and you wondered if it was because she was upset it might've been the place she came from. Though she wouldn't say no matter how much you prodded. 

---X---

Dan Heng walked towards the main train car with apprehension, pacing back and forth debating on whether or not to try and reach out. He knew that he should have trusted you to be there for him, but such secrets he resolved to forget and never bring up again. 

"There you are. They already left." Himeko sat on the couch with a relaxing cup of chamomile, offering it to Dan Heng seeing his fractured nerves running wild.

"Himeko, do you have a recording of the message Kafka left?" Dan Heng wondered. 

"Oh uhm, of course." She stood from her chair and replayed the recording. Dan Heng's eyes grew wide, "Stop!" he shouted, startling Himeko. 

Wiping her mouth she turned to the shaken Dan Heng, "Is everything alr-" 

"Blade- I have to go!" He rushed to his room, gathering his spear and putting on his coat. He gripped the cloth with clenched fists as it still had your scent lingering on the coat. His anxiety reached a breaking point, but he took a moment to try and contact you. 

'Be careful, there is a dangerous criminal on the Xianzhou. I'm heading over right now.' Terrified to see that his message was not received Himeko stopped him just before his departure. 

"Welt is with Y/N. Make sure to take care of yourself, Dan Heng." She cautioned.

He managed to calm down, "Understood, I'll be back Miss Himeko." He departed without hesitation. 

Himeko put a hand to her face, shaking her head slowly, "I'm not nearly old enough to be called miss- do I look old?" Himeko worried as she stared at the large mast of the Xianzhou Loufu. 

---X---

Upon his descent onto the Loufu a single bar of service managed to send all his messages to your frantic cellphone. 

'Are you ok?'

'What are you doing on the Loufu? 

I thought you were staying with Himeko on the Express!'

'I will assume that you are alright. 

There is a dangerous criminal aboard the Loufu.'

'Kafka?'

'No, Blade. The one she asked you to find.

I'll be there soon. Stay safe.' 

---X---

As you stood before the General something in you worried that the Express was being played by all sides, driving towards a worse fate. 

Though as your mind wandered towards unending strife and hardship, you were brought back by the sudden and gentle embrace of a familiar figure. Dan Heng covered in a desperate perspiration in his quest to be reunited with you had led him into many a battle. 

"I just wanted to apologize." He stated, catching his breath. 

"Me too," Pulling away from him the two of you manage to reconcile. 

"I want to tell you, everything, the truth. But for now, I need you to trust me." You nod, and with that you begin helping the General stop the Abundance. 

---X---

A/N: I felt pretty confident about this chapter, though I worry I may have skewed Dan Heng's character slightly. I'm excited to see where his story leads and how it intertwines with Blade's, I might do a chapter theorizing my own take on it, but when it comes out I'll probably write something more in depth then. 

Thank you for reading!