Jing Yuan - Snowmoon

A/N: Just discovered this lore and i'm sobbing. 

---X---

"Jing Yuan, look!" You called from the training ground, just finishing on sweeping it up after him and Yanqing finished their sparring match. 

He rushed out to see the commotion, noticing you poised next to a small and round ball of fur. You awkwardly shuffled around it, not wanting to wake it up or move it. 

The courtyard had filled with the heaps of fresh snow that poured in from the northern front. Leaving you with a lot of work to do if you wanted to keep the ground nice enough for the soldiers to walk on with their muddy shoes. 

"What is it?" 

"No idea, but it's so fuzzy." 

Resisting the urge to touch the small roll of fluff, it began to move on its own. Flipping over so that the two of you could see the underbelly of a beautiful white-haired beast. Taking a moment to marvel, you nearly jumped as Jing Yuan took a hand to pet the creature. 

"Be careful!" 

"Don't worry Y/N, it's only a baby." He reached out his hand to you, hoping that you would trust him enough to take it. Apprehensively you waned your shaking hand over to his and he brought you down to the small lion cub. Gently coaxing over the soft tufts of fur that covered the entirety of the creature. 

It awoke to the feeling of your hands on its stomach. Once its striking blue eyes opened you rushed behind Jing Yuan, but he stood strong, allowing the lion to walk over and sniff him. With a bit of meat from the pantry the lion quickly grew attached to the both of you. Though, its bond with Jing Yuan could not be overshadowed by any other. 

While you worked in the courtyard, the lion would pace around Jing Yuan. The lion would wait eagerly for the moment that Jing Yuan could spare even a moment of his time for the tiny beast as it waddled around the courtyard. 

"What have you decided to name it?" 

"Snowmoon." Jing Yuan said without hesitation, stroking the mane that began to show itself on the small cub's fur. 

The general and Snowmoon would play for hours throughout the day. While the general lazed around during the afternoon, Snowmoon would cuddle beside him, the two falling asleep in his chambers until sunrise. Every night this cycle would repeat, the two of them inseparable.

You made sure that they were warm enough on the cold nights in winter, and cool enough on the hot nights in summer. Placing blankets over them when the weather would drop and opening the window when the temperatures rose. 

"Snowmoon is very attached to you Jing Yuan." You smiled, placing your hand affectionately on the lion's back. Snowmoon was still quite small, but his mane had grown in, making him look quite fierce. 

"He likes you too, Y/N." Jing Yuan said, a bit of a crestfallen look upon his face. 

"I'll bring you some tea. It's getting cold again." You offered, taking a tray to gather the tea pot upon. 

When you brought it back to the general and the lion, you paused. Noting how Snowmoon had fallen sound asleep upon the general's lap. Gently pouring a cup of hot chamomile for you and Jing Yuan to enjoy, you smiled. It was amazing how attached to one another they were, offering comfort when the Abundance began to attack. 

Jing Yuan had been greatly affected by the effects of the Abundance, it had taken many of his comrades, and those he held dear. Through years of endless battles and bloodied torment, Jing Yuan watched as his loved ones faded away. With their departures so too did his spirit begin to dissipate. A dark tone blowing over the general's dark expression.