Blade (reader AU) - Higher purpose

"Don't you think this job drags?" Qingque wondered, sitting at her desk and fiddling with a small Jade tile in her hands.

"Yep, but it's the only one we've got. So might as well work on it." You conceded.

She shook her head, "You've got it all wrong! There's no point to working so diligently. Any ways it's time for me to go play Celestial Jade!" She leaps from her cozy bundle on the floor and bolts out the door.

"In the middle of your shift-?" You sigh, knowing that neither of you were ever going to get anywhere in the Divination Commission, for her it would be the fact she didn't want to raise the ranks, but for you, it was because you couldn't. Informed every time you apply that you had been rejected for inauspicious timing.

You slam the pile of pages down on your desk, deciding to head over to the loom in order to gather the last of the necessary data in order to send your report to Fu Xuan. As you continue to jot down all the different characters into your note-page you notice how empty the loom is.

"Hello?" You call out, suddenly shocked by the large amounts of footsteps heading your way Looking around, you notice a good-looking hiding spot and weasel your way into the small alley crack.

 You note how the crack looked a lot larger than it was on the inside, being cramped and uncomfortable, you press against the wall hoping to find a better angle. Shifting right under the nose of a predator that loomed in the shadow mere inches away. 

Noticing a red glint and dark eyes. 

Your vision blurred as within seconds of noticing the man he pressed his arm into your throat, cutting off your circulation. Struggling to break free of his grasp you use your nails to claw at his arms, but in retaliation he pushes you off the ground up the wall. 

Losing the ability to think, you bit his arm, when blood began pouring into your mouth through his clothes, he didn't even flinch. Seemingly bored with your attempts to free yourself. Luckily for you he had raised you high enough for you to knee him in the face, as you heard a crack from your knee to his nose, he drops you. 

Although he doesn't seem to be in pain, he holds his nose for a second before revealing a large scabbard. 

Time slows as he readies his sword to cut you down, staring at it with a blank expression, you think back to your parents. Praying that if the man killed you in this dark alley, that they would never hear of the travesty. Your life had been a slow cycle of waking up to falling asleep, to do it all again. Thinking- 

No! You refused, the moment that you thought so lowly of yourself was the reignition of your spirit. "Argh!" You tumble out of the way just before he swings his sword, cutting a massive gap in the crate behind you. 

He wipes the blood from his nose and points the sword at you. Stepping slightly into the light you recognize this man from all the wanted posters posted around the city. It was as if fate hated you, was this truly your divined fate? You didn't want it to end this way. 

Scrambling to your feet, the criminal kicks you down. You hit the ground with a thud, smacking your chin on the metal floor, the noise attracts the attention of the footsteps from earlier. You prayed that they weren't allies of the criminal. 

Before you could attempt to get up again the man dragged you by the leg and pulled you back into the alleyway. "No!" You scream, the adrenaline coursing through your body, the smell of lemons and rust filled your nose. 

"Stop." His low raspy voice commands, sending a silent shock down your body. He picks you up aggressively pushing you back onto the wall of the freight crate. This time opting to cover your mouth rather than choke you.