Jing Yuan - Sparrow

A/N: This makes a lot more sense if you've read 'mara-struck' already. Although not a part two, it does have some considerable parallels. 

---X---

"Your form's been getting better." You compliment.  

The young swordsman says nothing as he thrusts his blade towards you, taking a step far too wide to defend. 

"Better but not best-" Sweeping him off his feet with a quick kick you smile, helping the young boy up. 

Yanqing groans, stretching out his back. "What am I doing wrong?" 

"Who can say for sure?" You begin, lazily laying your brocade on the ground beside a shaded tree. Enjoying the breeze, you ignore the small glares the young child throws your way. 

"If you don't tell me what I'm doing wrong I'll never get better!" Yanqing yells, stomping over to you before plopping down on the ground. 

"Why not just spar with the general?" 

"Because you're not as busy." He pouts, partially calling you out for the fact that you were currently unemployed. 

With a harsh breath you stand to your feet, beckoning him over to continue sparring. He eagerly runs to his position, but before he can even land a strike you reach him first, placing a leaf in his hair to tease him. 

Pretending to yawn you taunt him. Narrowing his brows, Yanqing rushes you, swinging in a wide array from the side. "Leaving your back open." Shaking your head, you touch his back, pushing him behind you as you turn around. Watching him stumble to gain his footing. 

Readying himself for another attack he attempts a small joust towards your stomach, though, he was a bit too short for it to work as he intended. "You're a bit short." 

"How is that a good critique?!" He yells, annoyed that you'd stuck yet another leaf in his hair in that short moment. Seemingly bored with the brief encounter, you gave him a tired smile. As you started yawning for real, Yanqing attempted to get a small attack in. 

The feeling of your hand being lifted by another in order to defend yourself startled you. The person currently cradling your arm atop theirs, was none other than the general himself.  Noticing how you let your guard slip while still armed, Yanqing did in technicality have the right to strike. 

Yanqing left to grab some water as you and the general began to talk. 

"He is ambitious, give him the opportunity and he will take it." 

"He's too impulsive. Take's every opportunity without thinking it through-!" Jing Yuan wraps his arm around your waist, placing his head on your shoulder. 

"Sometimes I fear you'll fly away- to a place I can't reach. So, forgive me for being so clingy." He smiles, dropping the sword and catching a few petals in his hand. 

"Fly? General, you are aware I do not have a starskiff license." You mumble, unsure of what he was referring to.

"Forget it. A passing thought, like the breeze and it is gone." 

The problem arose as the breeze is a reoccurring element, it is never truly lost. As the both of you sat under a large tree, the general passed up the opportunity to sit on a nice cushion in favor of being closer to you. A strange sense of Deja vu began to wash over you, an inexplicable thought passed through your mind. Though, such an idea was impossible, as it had never happened before. 

"You truly are a fan of animals are you not?" You ask, offering him a cup of tea. 

Unsure of why he looks at it so apprehensively before taking it from your hands. "Uh..yes." He mutters, clearly lost in thought.