Dan Heng - The white snake

As children of the Xianzhou, many stories were passed along in open theaters. The stories told by nuanced writers and stringent poets- illustrated the turmoiled struggles faced by heavenly deities and their mortal lovers. Star-crossed lovers whose fates were destined to cross but never unite. 

The most famous story, that could only be reiterated through word of mouth was the story of the 'Soldier and the Heavenly Deity'. A fictional tale that many speculated the storyteller had embellished a bit. 

"A cautionary tale for young descendants of the Vidyadhara, for love between immortals and mortals will always result in heartache." The man shakes his head low. His feet clacked as he stepped on the bridge above a mighty stream. 

With a cold front entering the open theatre, a man walked into view, shrouded in mystery. Like a winter breeze he stood stoically behind the interested crowd that had formed. 

 Realizing the poet had an audience, his tale begins. 

--x---

The youthful soldier of the kingdom's fifth squadron was caught slacking off within the barracks. Sleeping soundly while their comrades picked up arms to defend their home. In a form of punishment, the young soldier is tasked to go into the forbidden woods and gather the best wood for a sword hilt. 

Most unwilling to go alone, the soldier takes a single light and a bag of rations. Their comrades in arms nearly assuring them that they would not make it through the night alive with all the evil spirits within the woods. 

Unfortunately, this young soldier was you. Pushed to atone for your simple mistake, the dark forbidden woods are vessels for great evils that lurk within. 

"I will be eaten alive in these woods. I will be mocked for dying such a trivial death." You sighed, clapping your hands together every couple of steps. Your friends claimed that it was a way to ward off the evil spirits, though you started to wonder if it was attracting the evil towards you instead. Noticing how the woods that surrounded you only got darker the further you pushed. 

With shaky legs you approached a large rotting tree, hoping to gather some wood from its already dead branches. Shocked, you found a single serpent spirit guarding the tree. Feeling your presence, the serpent rose from the ground. The spirit did not say a word, merely staring at you, refusing to allow you to pass by. 

"Serpent lord, I need to pass by to collect wood. Please, move." You began, asking the giant spirit for their blessing to proceed, to which they said nothing. 

"Please?" Giving the serpent guardian a strained smile, you decided to try and brute force your way through. Walking towards the serpent with great conviction until you paused, noticing the large cut on its coil. 

"You- are hurt?" 

The serpent nodded, their grandiose form shriveling down to the size of a simple garden snake. Placing the serpent upon your shoulders you collected your wood before returning to the base camp. Finding small twigs and cloth, you bandaged the tiny snake's little wounds.

You were not good with the bandaging as it began to fall off. Though, you persisted until it stuck.  

As you fell asleep that night, the serpent spirit had made a wish, to be able to repay your favor in full. As you were their savior, they vowed to protect you with their life.

In their sleep, they began asking the gods above to become human to better accompany you. To the serpent's joy, their wish had been granted. With a set of horns and a long spiraling tail, their wish was partially granted by a gracious host.

Once you awoke, you were startled to see the figure of a beautiful young man. His skin, a pearly silk, and his eyes a cyan blue. 

"Allow me to repay the debt I owe you."