Yanqing - (Platonic) Watching you fade from view

"Are you sure you should be climbing a tree?" The maid watched as the young heir of the golden garden courtyard began to scale a massive tree. The only attendant of the golden garden, who would only work once a week with no pay. 

"I'll be fine as long as you dont tell-"

"Y/N! What are you doing?!" The shrill voice of your age-old best friend, screeching like a banshee at the slight instance of you getting yourself into even the slightest bit of trouble. 

Wanting to get back at him you rolled off the branch, landing in a pile of leaves below. Laughing, you found it exhilarating. 

"Why do you do these things? You know that if you get injured, you'll die." 

"Not that easily! I'm not a toothpick Yanqing, I won't snap if I fall off a tree." You said nonchalantly, balancing unsteadily over a ridge by the family pond. Despite how close you were, sometimes you couldn't stand how overprotective he was. Didn't he know that you weren't his responsibility?

Old enough to grow out of the stigma of that helpless child who couldn't step outside in the cold. You wanted to experience the way the world worked, to see it for yourself. There was only one person stubborn enough to try and stop you. 

He stood before you with his arms folded over his chest, unwilling to let you pass. 

"Don't think you're getting out of here." 

"What are you, a prison warden? Lemme out!" Finding a perfect opportunity you ran to the wall, he blocked you, getting to the door first with his flying sword technique. "Joykill." 

"Y/N, I'm just worried about you. I've seen how people have acted after loss- I don't think I could handle it." Yanqing turns to the floor, his resilient spirit looking a bit drained. 

Not willing to end this attempt in defeat you made one final offer, "Go with me. So that if something happens -which it won't- you'll be there." 

Your best friend took a while to contemplate before finally giving in, walking alongside your eager demeanor as you ran outside the estate. Taking a deep breath and enjoying the freedom you dreamed of since you were a kid. 

The first place you dragged him towards was a milk tea stand, one known for its chewy brown sugar pearls and silky tea. "Oh, we have to try this!" Dragging him over to the stall you both chose a few drinks to try, unable to pick only one in excitement. He had to admit, he was a bit intrigued with all the different options. 

Unfortunately, Yanqing would be stuck holding all the drinks you couldn't finish. Becoming more of a shopping cart at every stall you visited, vying to try every single dish on every menu. It was your first experience outside of the golden garden courtyards, you weren't going to miss a single moment. 

"Y/N, please. I can't hold anything else!" he complained, not wanting to be your personal luggage carry. 

"Oops. Sorry!" You laughed, seeing him completely annoyed with you. Nudging him a little to lighten up, he didn't budge. Knowing how he was unwilling to let you out to begin with, if this didn't go well, you'd never leave the courtyard again.

"Hey." 

"What." He spat back, clearly growing more upset.

"Look, I'm sorry-"

"Your father entrusted me to protect you. How can I let him down?" 

"He wouldn't care." 

"What-"

"Not since they died. He's been different, distant, acting as if he doesn't even remember they existed. I existed." You admitted bitterly. A forgotten child in an abandoned courtyard, estranged from a father who would never visit.