Cocolia - Aurora Borealis

Your mornings always begun with a kiss on the head. Awoken to the smell of coffee and the sight of your ever busy wife running around frantically looking for her keys. As always, she would leave it on your side of the bed when she would get home in the late-night hours, placing it on your nightstand so she could kiss you before she went to sleep. 

"Over here Lia!" 

"Oh, thank heavens- Mwah. Love you, oh and I made an appointment to visit with the orphanage later tonight."  Placing a tender kiss on your lips and grabbing the keys from your hand, she stood up. 

"Really?" You dropped your shoulders, heart speeding up a bit as you eagerly awaited the good news. 

Nodding in excitement you could barely contain your emotions, knowing how long the both of you had waited for this moment. 

"See you later sweetie!" She calls, running out the door and rushing in to work. 

"Bye Lia!" 

Cracking your tense joints, you hadn't realized how anxious you'd become. Hoping for the longest time to be able to have children of your own, but it just wasn't possible. Hearing about a possible availability to adopt a child from the underworld was practically a miracle. 

You couldn't wait, pacing around thinking about what you'd say, how you would feel. Mainly you thought about Cocolia, who wanted a family more than anything. You knew how much her mother meant to her, which was why when she passed away, Cocolia gradually shifted. 

She became more distant, a bit more aloof. Though, you couldn't blame her, this loss was a heavy toll on her. As you could only do your best to support her, you knew that having a child around would bring a new vibrancy to the home you shared. 

"Lia-! Huh?" You paused, watching your wife return home with a calm expression and a young girl in tow. A bit shocked but overall, still enthusiastic you bent down to greet her, a faint gloss forming over your eyes as you reached out your hands to her. 

"Hello, I'm Y/N. What's your name?" 

"Bronya Zay-" She looked up to Cocolia for a moment, shooting her gaze back down before correcting herself, "Rand." 

"Bronya, why don't you go look around?" Cocolia offered, clutching her head gently as she took a deep breath. 

"Lia, what happened?" Placing a concerned hand to her weary shoulders she brought you into her embrace, caressing the back of your head. 

"I'm so sorry Y/N. I should've waited, I'm so sorry." She repeated those words to you, murmuring it to the wind sorrowfully. Such regret in her voice you couldn't help but take her in your arms and rub gentle reassuring circles on her back. 

"It's going to be alright Lia, raising Bronya will be the steps we take together. Ok?" You could feel her nodding into your neck, her hair falling just past her face as she stifled the tears. 

Your parenting styles were different but boiled down to be similar even in your most flawed moments of parenthood. Never a hand nor voice raised to hurt this beautiful and vibrant light that entered your life. 

"Bronya, I expect better from you." 

"Gepard started it. He said I had a big head." Bronya pouted, sitting on the chair as you bent down to talk to her. 

"I'm sure Gepard didn't mean that-"

"Tell him he has a small brain." Cocolia shrugged, preparing dinner. 

"Lia?!" You exclaimed, completely shocked. Though, Bronya took it into consideration, thinking about how to get back at the blonde boy for his slight against her.