Chapter 98: Look at me

Indoors during the night shift.

A maid carried freshly brewed tea and presented a small tea tray to Chu Shao and Shangguan Xun.

Chu Shao took the tea cup and said to Shangguan Xun, "Master Shangguan, please have a seat."

"Thank you, Princess. I am honored to comply," Shangguan Xun smiled and took a seat.

After serving the tea, the maid excused herself.

The room was now silent with only Shangguan Xun and Chu Shao present, both sipping their tea with gentle smiles.

For a while, there was complete silence.

Finally, Chu Shao placed her tea cup on the table and broke the silence.

She smiled but looked puzzled, "Master Shangguan, how come you came alone? What about the gift you mentioned earlier?"

Shangguan Xun looked at Chu Shao's slightly furrowed brows and felt an invisible pressure despite her gentle demeanor.

He smiled mysteriously and said, "Before presenting this gift, have you heard of a rumor about Yao Country?"

Chu Shao was not interested in rumors and smiled softly as she asked, "Rumors are as numerous as flying catkins in the world, too many to count. If Master Shangguan does not speak, how would I know?"

Seeing that the other party was straightforward and not willing to give him an out, Shangguan Xun could only cover up his embarrassment with a folding fan and tell the story of the rumor he had mentioned earlier.

The rumor was that when Prince Yan led her troops to attack Yao Country, the new emperor Chu Yu learned that the Qi army was approaching fiercely and unstoppably.

He sighed and wept, then split the imperial seal into two parts.

Chu Yu handed the right seal to Marquis of Pingcheng, who led Yao Country's elite soldiers and generals, along with the refugees fleeing the country, to a border area in the south to recuperate and await the opportunity to rise again.

To avoid detection by the country's national teacher, Chu Yu hid the other half of the seal in the sleeping quarters of the deposed Empress Ning.

Shangguan Xun leisurely said, "Some people say that before Marquis of Pingcheng led his troops to the south, Chu Yu made him swear an oath that the descendants of the Su family would serve and be loyal to the Chu family's descendants who held the left seal for generations."

"It's just a rumor," Chu Shao's expression did not change, still smiling lightly. "Besides, it is said that the Marquis of Pingcheng seems to have died before he arrived. The remaining refugees from the Yao Country, who now reside in the south, are all ruled by his descendants."

"The Princess guessed right. Now, the son of the Marquis of Pingcheng, Su Fu, has occupied the southeast and declared himself king. Many refugees from the Yao Country who were not captured have fled there," praised Shangguan Xun.

Chu Shao nodded slightly and said softly, "Master Shangguan has spoken so much, but in the end, what does it have to do with me?"

Shangguan Xun paused his fan motion and was quite surprised, "Princess, although you are now the wife of the Prince Yan, you still have the blood of the Yao Country royal family flowing in your veins. Don't you want to restore your country?"

Previously, when Chu Shao said that she did not love the Yao Country, Shangguan Xun thought it was just an excuse.

Now, looking at the indifferent smile on Chu Shao's face, he realized that it was probably the truth.