Chapter 156: I can see that you are not coveting my mother at all, but...

Through the folding screen, faint laughter of a pipa-playing woman could be heard from outside the courtyard, exuding a charming and pleasant demeanor. However, inside the room, there was an inexplicable and eerie atmosphere between the two.

Upon hearing Chu Shao's intention to kill her, Tang Ling remained calm and instead smiled as he asked, "May I ask, Princess, how do you plan to kill me?"

"Most likely with a dagger or a sword," Chu Shao unexpectedly answered seriously.

"But there are over thirty hidden guards ambushed around my courtyard," Tang Ling calmly stated. "As soon as I blow the whistle, they will appear. Do you believe me?"

"Certainly, I believe," Chu Shao smiled.

Tang Ling continued, "Since you believe, why do you still want to kill me?"

Chu Shao replied, "Precisely because you haven't blown the whistle, I wanted to test it."

Just as the words fell, a cold gleam flashed from Tang Ling's sleeve and approached her face. The intent to kill was within reach, and Tang Ling reacted swiftly. In just an instant, she flew away from her seat, narrowly avoiding the cold light that came at her.

However, before she could fully stabilize herself, another sharp edge swiftly passed through the air, directly targeting her eyes.

At this moment, Tang Ling could clearly see the flickering silver light at the tip of the blade, even the angle at which it was aimed.

Simultaneously, she understood that Chu Shao's speed was too fast, and it was already too late to dodge.

Avoiding it was definitely impossible. Fortunately, Tang Ling never intended to evade.

She stood in place, allowing the cold light to pierce towards her eyes, without any movement or attempt to pick up the bone whistle in her hand.

"Clang—"

The ornaments at her waist collided, producing a crisp sound like the bubbling of a spring.

The blade rested in front of Tang Ling's light-colored pupils, without further action, only reflecting a shimmering light under the sunlight.

Chu Shao smiled softly and asked gently, "Commander Tang, you clearly had the time to blow that whistle, so why didn't you?"

"Because I feel that Princess does not want to kill me."

Through the glinting blade, Tang Ling calmly met Chu Shao's gaze. "If you wanted to kill me, you wouldn't have deliberately knocked out the guards outside the residence, nor would you have kindly informed me before making a move."

Chu Shao nodded, "Commander Tang, you make sense."

"So, can you put down the dagger now?" Tang Ling asked.

Chu Shao shook her head and moved the dagger to Tang Ling's throat. "Commander Tang, there are too many people outside, I dare not let go."

Tang Ling sighed helplessly, then shouted to the hidden guards around, "I am fine, you can all retreat."

A rustling sound came from outside the courtyard, and after a moment, silence returned. The laughter of the pipa-playing woman had disappeared, and it seemed as if only the two of them remained in the entire courtyard.

Tang Ling said, "Now, can the Princess rest assured?"

Having witnessed the swift retreat of the guards, Chu Shao symbolically praised, "Your subordinates are disciplined, but those few individuals lying outside the wall probably haven't let go of their bows and arrows yet."