Chapter 109: Although the fourth brother has lost his legs

Upon hearing the eunuch's announcement, the Emperor Qi stood up and went down the palace himself to greet the arriving guests.

Although Xiao Jin couldn't see the Emperor's smiling face, she could hear his voice from afar saying, "My dear sister, please take your seat quickly." It was as if he was a completely different person from before.

Xiao Jin couldn't see what was happening inside the palace, but Chu Shao was quietly observing the people inside. Each person had a different expression, identity, and stance.

Kneeling and bowing were common courtesy, even for the supporters of the Crown Prince, who had to pay their respects to the Princess Zhao Yang and the Fifth Prince.

However, the person sitting on the high seat seemed to have a strange expression.

She had a sun and phoenix pearl hairpin on her hair, with unknown amounts of gold threads and rubies inlaid, shimmering brightly under the light.

Wearing a phoenix robe, her slim waist was outlined beautifully, yet she did not appear frivolous at all.

Instead, she exuded an air of nobility and dignity.

Chu Shao knew who she was.

Of course, besides the mother of the country, there was no one else who could sit next to the Emperor Qi.

That was why Chu Shao found it even more interesting.

If she wasn't mistaken, at the moment when Emperor Qi went to greet Princess Zhao Yang and the Fifth Prince, the Empress seemed to have clenched the jade cup in her hand, with a hint of resentment appearing on her eyebrows.

The Empress was the mother of the Crown Prince, and after his succession, she became the Empress Dowager. In theory, the Fifth Prince shouldn't pose any threat to her. So the person she hated the most was probably Princess Zhao Yang. 

It was reasonable to hate her.

But to show emotions so vividly is a bit unbecoming of an empress.

Fortunately, everyone's attention has been diverted to Princess Zhao Yang and the fifth prince, and they haven't noticed what's wrong with the empress's expression.

It's still debatable whether Emperor Qi's smile at Princess Zhao Yang is genuine.

But when he saw the fifth prince, his face was filled with joy, and he patted his shoulder and said, "Today is your Aunt Zhao Hua's birthday banquet. Why are you so late?"

The Fifth prince, Xiao Cheng, is a year younger than the fourth prince, but he exudes a certain air of heroism.

He apologized with a fist, "I beg forgiveness from the emperor. Your son should have come earlier to congratulate Aunt Zhao Hua on her birthday. But I met Aunt Zhao Yang on the way and spoke more than I should have, which made me late."

Princess Zhao Yang was holding a peacock feather fan and also showed a rare smile, "Your Majesty, don't blame him. I saw this child was well-behaved and thought he would make great contributions to Qi Country, so I encouraged him a little."

"Cheng'er's talent is ordinary, but he is diligent in his daily practice. He can't live up to the empress's praise." Emperor Qi said modestly, but his actions were sincere as he patted the fifth prince's shoulder again.

"Thank Aunt Zhao Yang for her guidance.""Aunt Zhao Yang's praise is too much, and Cheng'er is unworthy." 

The fifth prince was very courteous, but Princess Zhao Yang had yet to react.

The crowd followed her gaze and saw Xiao Jin sitting in a wheelchair.

She wore black robes, and her slender, pale fingers held a teacup, with the silk ribbon covering her eyes making her stand out even more.