UNA #3

There is one thing you should know about me. I do not react at all like others expect me to. But what I did then, should have even taken me by surprise.

I just headed for the classroom to write that damn test. But I never arrived there, because I didn't find it. It was like I was in the building for the first time. I had no clue where to go.

So I decided that this was not really my day and left. I definitely didn't feel like going home, so I started to roam around.

I got into a park, where I sat down on a bench to get my head clear. I watched a white butterfly, dancing through the air. Then it landed on my right shoulder. I think it sat there for a while.

Until I heard this very soft, almost inaudible whisper, saying: "Don't you think it's time you open your eyes?"

Startled, I looked right. The butterfly was still there. "You heard me, Una!" it said, and then flew away.

Next I feel my skull hitting the gravel and these flashes hitting my vision. Blood is oozing out of my nose, mixing with my father's blood as he is ripped apart by this creature I can't apprehend.

The words, "Are you okay? Shall I get the ambulance?", tore me out of this memory, I hadn't had in years. A warm hand was taking mine, helping me up. The old man who belonged to this hand, made me sit on the bench again, offering me a handkerchief to clean my wounds.

I looked into his friendly face. It was somehow comforting. Because he didn't say anything else. He just kept sitting next to me, as if he wanted to make me feel safe.

So we sat there, looking at a pond. I don't know why, but I didn't want him to leave. Finally, when he got up, he grabbed my hand, smiled and said, "You know, child, you can't run away forever!"