JASON #11

Embarrassed as I was, I sneaked out of Jenifer's house like a burglar, who had been caught by the police and they hadn't bothered to arrest me because I was absolutely useless.

The sense of shame I felt towards Una and Cass was almost unbearable. Not only that I had not found out anything valuable and had given in to alcohol, or slept with the mother of a poor girl in coma who needed me, but I was even humiliated by a woman who was definitely much more in control of things that I was capable of.

What absolutely finished me off was the self-pity I felt deep inside. So to make sure that I was the pathetic loser I craved for, I rushed into my motel room to plunder the mini bar and blank out.

I was glad that I could only remember half of the nightmares that I had then. They all ended in somebody's death. Either it was Cass, or Una that were slaughtered by a revolting monster that was definitely me.

On the next day I strolled through the streets of Hanover, trying to get my head clear again. I hoped to be of use again. Maybe I could even find out about Cass's whereabouts or what had happened. But it was in vain.

When I returned to my room in the evening, I was almost afraid of going to sleep sober. In my last effort of showing some backbone, I decided to face my demons by going lucid in my sleep.

I set an alarm clock for 2 and 4 a.m. to wake me up, in order to increase my chances of becoming aware in my dreams.

First it didn't work out. But then in the early morning, I made it. I was walking down a street, when I saw a woman that reminded me of Cass. At that moment I remembered my mission and got lucid.

I immediately called out for Una to come to me.

She appeared in an instant, looked at me with her unbelievably blue eyes and with a smile she said: "I am glad to see you."