ELDION #5

I sensed his call before it reached me. After all, I was the only confidant that he had at present. HIs physical appearance displayed the state of doubt and fear he was in. Jason looked meager and tired.

He was standing at the edge of a high cliff, looking down into the ocean of all the despair he tried to escape.

When he saw me, there were tears swelling up in his eyes. "Thank God, you have come!" he said. "It seems the only thing I am good at is to become lucid in my dreams."

"You say this, like it is of no worth to anybody, my friend, not even to you. But have you ever considered the possibility that most of your fellow travelers would admire and envy you for your gift?"

"Not really", he answered with the faintest smile on his lips. "Thank you for coming. I need your help. Una is still gone as you said. I already found Cass in the hospital. I even know how to end her life now. I even got all the barbiturates for doing it. But honestly, I think I can't do it."

"You lack trust, Jason. You do not trust in yourself and this leads to you not believing in the higher cause that can only come through you."

He looked at me suspiciously, continuing, "How can it be a higher cause - as you say - to kill somebody?"

That was the moment I could not stop myself from laughing heartily. Which seemed to irritate him even more.

"What's so funny?" he said.

"The pretension of the human mind, born in its smallness. Most of you try to cover up everything you crave for with a ridiculous version of your desired outcome. Whereas humility would suit you much better in any way."

Jason bowed his head in shame, realizing the situation he was in.

I put my arm around his skinny shoulders and began, "Do you know why we know that you should be exactly where you are now in what you call your life? Because you are here, right now. When you feel deep down inside your heart, what is it that you hear?"

His eyes searched for mine and then he started to cry, leaning into me.